Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New "Safari Guest Mode?"

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 falcore91

falcore91

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:42 PM

Posted 23 October 2011 - 06:32 PM

Since upgrading to Lion have you noticed a new option on your login screen? I believe that when I installed Lion (or the iCloud update) Apple enabled a new feature which allows a user to restart the machine into a special guest mode, which features Safari only. What's particularly interesting is that when a user is logged in and the screen is locked a guest user can terminate the user's session to do this. Granted the same could probably be accomplished by holding down the power button, but still concerning.

Not sure if I'm right about the origin of this feature, but irregardless I finally figured out that you could disable it via System Preferences -> Security & Privacy -> General tab. If this feature is still enabled on your Mac you may want to take a look into it. If anyone knows more specifically when this was introduced I would appreciate you letting me know. Enjoy the last bit of your weekend!
(Instructor) You put a Linux machine within a Windows machine within a Mac? That's great! Now where is that paper on BitTorrents vulnerabilities that was due last week?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,507 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:42 PM

Posted 28 October 2011 - 06:30 PM

Ha, Forgot about this little.. "Gem" in the new os, thanks for reminding me I think it is kind of pointless really I really cannot think of a really good use for it.
animinionsmalltext.gif
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#3 falcore91

falcore91
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:42 PM

Posted 30 October 2011 - 09:31 AM

I'm not saying the feature can't be useful (letting the cousin's kids use your machine to browse the web without screwing with your system for instance) but it surprised me to see it enabled. Do you know when it was enabled?
(Instructor) You put a Linux machine within a Windows machine within a Mac? That's great! Now where is that paper on BitTorrents vulnerabilities that was due last week?

#4 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,507 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:42 PM

Posted 31 October 2011 - 11:59 AM

It was introduced With lion. I cant remember which beta it was introduced in though.

Edited by computerxpds, 31 October 2011 - 12:00 PM.

animinionsmalltext.gif
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users