Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need help with Sonicwall TZ190

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Darkfoo

Darkfoo

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:33 AM

Posted 23 October 2011 - 02:35 PM

I've been trying to hook my ps3 up with my router to get my NAT type to type 2 as mine is currently 3. Ive looked and the few solutions I've found are to set up a DMZ for the ps3 and also to forward specific ports the ps3 uses. Ive been trying to do both but I just cant figure out how to do it on this router. When i tried to set up the DMZ I went into Network/Interfaces and clicked add PortShield Interface then the following options are available(included is what I filled in):

Zone: DMZ
Parent Interface: Lan
PortShield Interface Name: PS3
IP Assignment: Static
IP Address: (the ps3's Ip Address)
Subnet Mask: (it has a default number)

there are a few other options too but when I click ok I get the following error:
"Subnet on this interface overlaps with another interface"

and thats where Im stuck Im fairly new to working with routers and IP numbers etc.
Any help anyone can give would be greatly appreciated!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2011 - 02:38 PM

The PS3 doesn't really need any open ports to function. All it needs is an internet connection.

the only reason anything would need ports opened up is to make use of serving and hosting applications like Apache, FTP, SSH, and what not.

#3 Darkfoo

Darkfoo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2011 - 02:56 PM

I read it on this site:
http://www.pregamelobby.com/ps3-ps2-psone-discussions/5618-how-get-type-2-open-nat-your-ps3.html

Is it not legit?

#4 Fozzies

Fozzies

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:33 PM

Posted 23 October 2011 - 03:11 PM

Its a rip off site trying to confuse you into buying a 20dollar app that doesnt exist. ignore it

#5 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2011 - 05:08 PM

Its a load of crap honestly, I have a PS3 and I do not require any ports opened up to connect to the net and to play games. It just works, and I even have UPnP disabled on my router due to security issues related with that.

There is no such thing as different types of NAT you are either doing network address translation or you are not.

#6 Fozzies

Fozzies

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2011 - 05:11 PM

There are 2 types of nat. neither are relevant in relation to this website

#7 Fozzies

Fozzies

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2011 - 05:41 PM

Ahhh, sony have created a third type of nat it seems...a non-nat!
The page you linked seems to just be a port forwarding guide, i should have read it properly, sorry:s
do you actually have problems with your ps3? If not, leave your router settings alone

#8 Darkfoo

Darkfoo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2011 - 07:03 AM

Theres not really a huge problem but it does say that my nat type may cause problems when connecting with other players. Ive seen that message in Little big planet 2 and black ops and rightly enough its nigh impossible for me to connect with other people in LBP2 and voice chat slows causes lag and sometimes doesnt work in black ops

#9 Fozzies

Fozzies

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2011 - 04:59 PM

What results do you get from a speedtest.net test please?

#10 Darkfoo

Darkfoo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2011 - 07:30 AM

15.09 download
1.92 upload

#11 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2011 - 09:23 AM

Your upload is very limited, and if you are actively doing peer to peer file sharing your upload will be impacted even more.

#12 Fozzies

Fozzies

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2011 - 03:33 PM

Upload is fine imo, more likely just demand on the server you are connected to, and nothing you can do about it.
But, as the man says, dont be running torrents at the same time as playing

#13 Darkfoo

Darkfoo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2011 - 09:55 AM

I dont use torrents or download when im playing so that doesnt effect me. Got MW3 and it also says my NAT type is strict and that it will effect matchmaking for me and also my ability to host a game. My router doesnt have a UPnP setting anywhere ive checked thoroughly so im going to have to manually configure it somehow to make my nat type open. Can anyone help me with that?

#14 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2011 - 12:19 PM

UPnP is a very high security risk to have enabled on any router. It allows programs to have access to the net if they need it.

#15 Darkfoo

Darkfoo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2011 - 10:32 AM

Ok so I found out to port forward on my router and forwarded the ports for mw3 that I found on my router and also on windows firewall yet my Nat type is still strict! My isp set me up initially with a cable modem, a Scientific Atlanta EPC-2203 could this be causing a problem? Or maybe there are different ports I should be opening?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users