Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't install Microsoft Silverlight

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 techsavy24

techsavy24

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:53 PM

Posted 23 October 2011 - 11:39 AM

I watch episodes of certain tv shows online. Everything was fine, until this morning it tells me that silverlight isn't working or something along those lines. So i went to the control panel to uninstall it. Then i went to the microsoft site and tried downloading the latest version of silverlight. But the program just says "unable to install silverlight". I have also tried doing a windows update to fix the problem but that doesn't work either. I also went through all the troubleshooting things involving the command prompt, MSIExec, etc. I got it off my computer just fine, but getting it back on is my problem. I use firefox, and I'm on a 32 bit system if that helps.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2011 - 06:21 PM

It seems that when you uninstall Silverlight using Add/Remove Programs, it will leave traces that will prevent you from reinstalling it. A lot of us use Revo Uninstaller to remove those traces. Try it out.

http://www.revouninstaller.com/

#3 techsavy24

techsavy24
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2011 - 05:21 PM

Thanks for the program, but i couldn't find Microsoft Silverlight in the "All Programs" tab. I guess it is fully off my system. Might it be within another program or something? Otherwise, I would say it's completely off my system. Any other suggestions?

#4 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2011 - 06:33 PM

Microsoft has a cleanup utility that works for a lot of their products. You can download it at this link.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2438651

#5 techsavy24

techsavy24
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2011 - 09:11 PM

Microsoft has a cleanup utility that works for a lot of their products. You can download it at this link.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2438651

I get an error when trying to run that program "Were sorry but the program encountered an error trying to contact the server. Please try again later"
Any other suggestions?

#6 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2011 - 05:18 AM

Not really. That's the solution Microsoft gives on their help forum. However, Comodo has released Program Manager. It's a new product that is supposed to trump Revo Uninstaller. It can't hurt to try it. Comodo is known for their firewall and other security products.

http://programs-manager.comodo.com/

#7 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,199 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2011 - 12:12 PM

Did you get an error while trying to download the Microsoft cleanup tool/ uninstaller or an error
after downloading and opening the tool?

Microsoft Silverlight won't install
If you tried uninstalling and reinstalling and Silverlight still won't install, the plug-in may be only partially installed, or some files may be corrupted or damaged. If this is the case, make sure that you're logged on to the computer as an administrator, close any open browsers, and then try the following:

• Verify that Silverlight no longer appears in the list of installed programs. If Silverlight still appears, uninstall it.
  • Download and run the Microsoft Windows Installer CleanUp Utility to remove installation information about Silverlight.
  • Delete the Microsoft Silverlight folder from the Program Files folder on your computer. Typically, the Program Files folder is located on the root of C:\ drive.
  • Delete the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Silverlight registry subkey.
    Important
    • This step entails editing the registry. Back up your registry before you continue.
    • Start Registry Editor.
    • Back up your registry. On the File menu, click Export. Select a location and enter a name for the backup file, and then save the file.
    • Delete the subkey. After you've backed up your registry, locate the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Silverlight subkey and delete it.
  • Install Silverlight. Go to the Silverlight installation website. Under Install Silverlight, click the link to download and install the latest version of Silverlight.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#8 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,199 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2011 - 12:33 PM

Having a problem editing my last post so here is what I wanted to add/ clarify.

The Windows Cleanup Utility mentioned has been discontinued. There were problems
with it affecting programs other than the one users wanted uninstalled.

It can be downloaded from the link below.
|MG| Windows Installer CleanUp Utility 7.2 Download

Editor's note: The Windows Installer CleanUp Utility is provided "as is" to help resolve installation problems for programs that use Microsoft Windows Installer. If you use this utility, you may have to reinstall other programs. Caution is advised. We recommend that you do not use this utility with 2007 Office system products.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#9 techsavy24

techsavy24
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2011 - 11:20 PM

Firstly, That Comodo uninstaller thing doesn't work on my computer. I Install it, but then when it tells me to click finish so it can restart the computer, the window goes blank and says(not responding. Secondly,I looked in the registry and couldn't find anything to do with Silverlight. I even searched HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Silverlight in the Edit-->Find option but it said it couldn't find anything. I don't think I want to use that old Microsoft uninstaller utility either because quote "We recommend that you do not use this utility with 2007 Office system products" I'm working under the assumption that silverlight is completely off my computer. Am I correct in assuming that? Also responding to buddy 215's question, Yes I did download the Fix it utility, but in as soon as I click "Run" the error pops up. This is getting me nowhere. I'm kind of losing hope here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users