Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Acer A100 and Linux

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 stiltskin

stiltskin

• Members
  • 238 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:55 PM

Posted 23 October 2011 - 10:57 AM

Anybody using the Acer A100 to connect to linux? I tried for awhile yesterday and all I could get was the USB connecting and disconnecting without ever presenting a usable device that could be mounted for read/write.

On another note, does Android 3.0/1/2 automatically write newly installed to the SD card? I used Android 2.3 on another tablet and I could move programs to the SD card to run. I could open each program, choose to move it to the SD card and free up space on the tablet. (Some, of course, couldn't be moved). But this tablet has Android 3.2 on it and I don't have the option to move things. I've pulled up some programs that have that supposedly built in (Superbox, App2SD, etc), but all they do is go to the same app management that doesn't offer the option.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 stiltskin

stiltskin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 238 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2011 - 03:29 PM

I wanted to follow up on this since I found an answer.

I tried the one suggested to me on the Linux/Unix part of the board and it wouldn't work for me. I found several other suggestions along the same line and those wouldn't work either. Then the tablet stopped charging and I had to send it back for repair.

In the interim, I bought a second one (one for my son). I fought with it for awhile before I got it to mount. But when it did it was really, really slow, and the only thing I saw was an empty directory called Playlists. I played with it off and on as time permitted and I was willing to put up with the torture. Finally, today, I stumbled on this page. It not only works, but it's much faster, and it shows all of the files on the card. I just backed it up, and I'm copying some music to the card now.

Now all I need to do is find a way to transfer apps to the SD card and run them from there without having to root it first.

#3 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,568 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:55 AM

Posted 04 December 2011 - 05:53 PM

under Android 3.2. I don't think you can run applications from the external SD card, nor can the current applications store data there (perhaps subject to the application developer's editing their apps). It, I gather, was a change mandated on the manufacturers and has to do with the DRM (digital rights management) for google videos, etc.

Unless you can find a way to get root access, I suspect you're stuck.

#4 stiltskin

stiltskin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 238 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2011 - 08:29 PM

I never looked into the why, so I suspect you're right. But I'll keep looking to see if someone figured a workaround.

I don't object to rooting. But every time I start to sit down to do it I decide it's not worth the effort due to the time and steps needed. That might be the one thing that will change my mind.

#5 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,568 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:55 AM

Posted 04 December 2011 - 10:08 PM

I was wrong about rooting might help.
See this thread - it's not about your box, but the implication is it's an android feature
http://www.thriveforums.org/forum/toshiba-thrive-general-discussions/5661-what-can-i-use-sd-card-usb-flash-card-now.html

#6 stiltskin

stiltskin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 238 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2011 - 06:45 AM

Hopefully I'll get an upgrade if it's not going to work until Ice Cream Sandwich. I realize the apps don't take up a lot of space, but I like to keep as much free as possible.

Hopefully it will change the 3.2 operation of creating a pseudo-SD card out of internal memory, too, in favor of using the real SD card as default.

#7 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:55 PM

Posted 09 December 2011 - 12:01 PM

If you root it, Im sure theres a way to make it work, though it may take writing your own code. It is linux based, and with pretty much any linux OS, you can do almost darn near anything you want to with it-legally, seeing as it is opensource, it just depends on how hard your willing to work at it. Unfortunatly, I don't do a lot of code writing for android or other linux based operating systems, you might try posting in the linux version of our forums you may be able to receive better luck there.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#8 stiltskin

stiltskin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 238 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2011 - 08:07 PM

Actually, the linux side was the second place I posted about this all, a day or so after I brought it here. That was also where I got the suggestion (which didn't work) that gave me the hope and inspiration to dig longer until I found a way to get the files to transfer.

I don't write linux code either. But I'm pretty sure if I wanted to go about rooting it I could probably get exactly what I want. Whether it would take a workaround or not I can't say. But I've used linux long enough (since 1997) to know an awful lot of ways to get things done. There's rarely a single "right" way to do things. But there are usually several ways that work, one of which is usually an accepted (generally termed "right") way of doing things.

I'm not sure I want to bother rooting it, though. I've started a number of times on a couple of tablets and a phone. But I get bored (first) and diverted (immediately following) every time I get started. Maybe if I finally have the patience to get one of the other devices done it will give me the motivation to do this one, too. Or maybe I'll just get a Nook Color, which is made to boot linux from a camera card if one is put in that is bootable when it's turned on.

#9 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2011 - 10:48 AM

They actually make auto root programs these days, I used one to root my droid X not to long ago, took me a grand total of about 5 minutes. Was pretty easy and straightforward, and worked like a charm.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

#10 stiltskin

stiltskin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 238 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2011 - 06:43 PM

I've tried Z4Root on my phone. Both on them, in fact. Both of them did something for about 15 minutes, then rebooted. Without root.

I tried it on one tablet and it did nothing. At all. It appeared to start up, then shut down without so much as an error. I don't remember for sure if it was the A100, but I think it was a different one with Android 2.3 on it. Maybe I'll give it another shot.

#11 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2011 - 11:59 PM

The software I used was designed specifically for motorola phones, so sorry I cant be of much help there. it was petes motorola rooter or something like that, but I do know it worked.

picard5.jpg

#12 stiltskin

stiltskin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 238 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2012 - 08:44 PM

That was true at the time. But now there's 4.0: Ice Cream Sandwich. That's the one I hope they eventually upgrade it to. But I'm not going to get angry if they don't since I wasn't given any promises of upgrades to the core OS.

Even with the shortcoming of of using internal memory as a pseudo-SD card, I bought a second one of the same model for my son. So far he hasn't synced it to his machine. He runs Windows, so he'll get Acersync to work whereas I had to find a way around it.

One thing I found is that via the progam I mentioned above I can get to the entire tablet: SD, faux SD and main storage memory. I never was able to do that with my other tablet runing 2.3. Then again, maybe I just didn't poke around enough.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users