Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Fix It Or Salvage It?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Nosy

Nosy

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:28 PM

Posted 27 January 2006 - 05:02 PM

I have a computer that I got from my Mom, the problem is that it is broken. One night she turned it off and when she tried to turn it on the next day, nothing. It's been in her closet for two years, until I decided to see what I could do for it. Power seems to be going through, because the fan wants to turn, but can't get going. It's not a great computer, so I don't want to spend a lot of money on it. My second option is maybe salvaging parts, I just don't know what's worth it if anything. Any advise, tips or help would be great.
Thanks in advance for all that you do.

Here is the broken computer:
Emachines t-2240
CPU: Intel® Celeron® Processor 2.20GHz (w/128KB L2 cache & 400MHz FSB)
Operating System: Microsoft® Windows® XP Home Edition
Chipset: Intel 845GL chipset
Memory: 128MB DDR (PC2100)
Hard Drive: 40GB HDD
Optical Drive: 48x Max. CD-Rom Drive; 3.5" 1.44MB FDD
Video: Intel Extreme Graphics 3D (integrated)
Sound: AC '97 Audio
Network: 10/100Mbps built-in Ethernet
Modem: 56K ITU v.92-ready Fax/Modem
Peripherals: Standard Multimedia Keyboard, 2-Button Wheel Mouse, Standard Speakers
Ports/Other: 6 USB 2.0 ports (2 on front), 1 Serial, 1 Parallel, 2 PS/2, Microphone-In & Head Phone jack on front, Audio-In & Out, 3 PCI slots (2 available)
Dimensions: 7.25"W x 14.125"H x 16"D

Here is the crappy computer:

Base processor and speed
Intel Pentium ® 4 (Willamette) 1.4 GHz processor
Socket 423
Front Side Bus 400MHz
Chipset
Tehama i850
Motherboard manufacturer
Asus

Memory
Component Attributes
RAM (standard) 128 MB PC600 Rambus (RDRAM)
Maximum 1GB (4 x 256 MB RIMM)
Speed 400 MHz synchronous
Rambus channels 2
Sockets 4 / 184-pin RIMMs
Size 128, 144, and 256 MB RIMMs
Pairs Required Yes. Rambus RIMM modules must be installed in pairs, and both modules within a channel must be identical (same manufacturer and type).

Type Supported Intel PC600 RDRAM 400 MHz

Cache
Level Quantity
Level 1 (Primary) 32 kilobytes (KB) (on processor)
Upgrade Sockets None
Level 2 256 KB (on processor)

Hard drive
60 GB Ultra DMA (3.5-inch form factor)
DVD-ROM drive
Attribute DVD CD-ROM
Speed 12x 32x maximum
Access speed 120 to 180 ms 90 to 120 ms
Transfer Rate 5.52 to 8.1 MB per second 3.6 to 4.8 MB per second

CD-RW drive
Attribute Properties
Speed Write: 8x

Rewrite: 4x

Network card
HP 10/100 BaseT LAN Adapter (Ethernet)
Diskette drive
44 MB (3.5-inch form factor)
Fax/data modem
Attribute Properties
Modem V. 90 56K (Cheetah)
Manufacturer Smart / Lucent
Data Speed 56 Kbps
Fax Speed Up to 14.4 Kbps
Plug and Play Yes
Hayes Compatible Yes
Data Compression v 42 bis
Error Correction v 42
COM Port (default) 2
IRQ (default) Variable
EIA Fax Commands Class 1

Video
Attribute Properties
Video Graphics AGP Interface
Controller NVIDIA TNT2 PRO 3D AGP 4x
Location Up; NVIDIA graphics card
Video Memory 32 MB DDR
Upgradable Yes, AGP-4x up only
Feature Connector (game/joystick) Yes
MPEG-1/2
MPEG-2 for full-screen, full motion video
Sound/audio
Attribute Properties

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Nosy

Nosy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2006 - 05:04 PM

Sorry, I forgot to mention that the second set of specs are for another computer that I have. I was wondering if there is anything in the broken one that could help it.

Nancy

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,076 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2006 - 06:35 PM

Yes there is, but without knowing what's broken it's hard to say. Frankly, with the exception of the memory - the broken computer seems to be much better than the crappy one.

It sounds like the first step would be a good cleaning (don't forget to use an anti-static wrist strap!) and reseating of all the connections in the eMachines system. Once that's done - then we can troubleshoot why it doesn't start.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 raw

raw

Bleeping Hacker

• Members
  • 2,577 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2006 - 06:47 PM

Power seems to be going through, because the fan wants to turn, but can't get going.

Could be a bad power supply...and if so a cheap fix.

rawsig.png

rawcreations.net          @raw_creations

Current systems: WHAT OS, BackTrack-raw, PCLinuxOS, Peppermint OS 6, Kali Linux

and a custom Linux From Scratch server hosting a bunch of top secret stuff.

#5 Nosy

Nosy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2006 - 08:45 AM

Okay, John I did what you said and now the fan will stay on for 5 minutes.
So, it very well may be the power supply. My friend has a tester that he's going look-up for me this weekend. When I know more I'll post back.

Thanks a lot to both of you!

Nancy

#6 Nosy

Nosy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2006 - 10:45 PM

Okay, my friend couldn't find his tester, so instead we took a chance and bought a new power supply. I installed it,but it's still not working. The lights come on now and the fan stays on, but the monitor won't turn on. The first monitor that I tried just has the error message to check the pc connection. The second monitor will blink that same message until I turn the processor on, then the screen goes blank. Any thoughts?

Nancy

#7 stidyup

stidyup

• Members
  • 641 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2006 - 03:27 AM

Are you getting any beeps from the motherboard when you switch it on?

#8 Nosy

Nosy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2006 - 08:59 AM

No, no sound at all.

#9 stidyup

stidyup

• Members
  • 641 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2006 - 09:11 AM

Have you got another graphics card to try? It could be that it's failed. But I would have thought you'd have got some beeps from the motherboard if this was the case.

#10 usasma

usasma

• 25,076 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2006 - 12:05 PM

Now that it will stay on for 5 minutes - go into your Event Viewer and check for error messages (particularly in the System category).

To do this go to Start...Run...and type in "eventvwr.msc" (wthout the quotes) and press Enter.

In the left hand pane, left click once on the word "System". Then check the right hand pane for errors. If you find any (the best one's are around the time that it shuts itself down) - then right click on it and select "Properties"

What you're looking for (in particular) is a series of numbers and letters that starts with something that resembles this: 0x0000007a

Also, there may be a file name associated with it.

Please copy that down and let us know what it says.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#11 Nosy

Nosy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2006 - 12:19 PM

Have you got another graphics card to try? It could be that it's failed. But I would have thought you'd have got some beeps from the motherboard if this was the case.

I really have no experience with graphics cards, I don't even know where it is. I don't want to make anything worse. I know it's probably easy for you guys,but not for me. Walkthrough?

#12 usasma

usasma

• 25,076 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2006 - 12:25 PM

Not a problem - we can do that. Do you have another graphics card that you can use? Also, I'd suggest that we do this after we finish looking at some tests that can be run without opening the case.

But, don't forget to check the Event Viewer. This will give us a better idea where the error is occurring.

While you're waiting, you can run a test of the memory by running one of these free, floppy based memory tests (read the instructions carefully please):

http://www.simmtester.com/page/products/doc/download.asp
http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp
http://www.memtest.org/
http://www.memtest86.com/

#13 Nosy

Nosy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2006 - 12:28 PM

Now that it will stay on for 5 minutes -

After I replaced the power supply, the lights and fan will stay on will no problems. When I hooked the monitor up however, I get an error message to check the pc cables. I tried two different monitors, same story. No beeps or sound comes from the computer. Ideas?

By the way I really appreciate all the help you guys/girls have been!

Much love and respect,
Nancy

#14 Nosy

Nosy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2006 - 12:49 PM

Not a problem - we can do that. Do you have another graphics card that you can use? Also, I'd suggest

I would have to remove a graphics card from an in use pc. I don't have a spare.

#15 usasma

usasma

• 25,076 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2006 - 01:46 PM

Try this for now. Make sure you're properly grounded (an antistatic wrist strap is a good idea here), and unplug the computer from the wall.

Then start taking stuff out - one thing at a time - clean the slot's out and clean the connectors with something lint free.

Don't lay anything down that you take out - and don't put it near magnets, etc. It could be that corrosion has set in somewhere.

Also, it could be a problem with a leaky CMOS batter (I lost a mobo to this - and it forced me to upgrade to a 386 SX !)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users