Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot Run Msconfig

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 SerbOz

SerbOz

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:50 AM

Posted 27 January 2006 - 04:24 PM

I have not problem with viruses, spyware, malware etc. because fixed all thanks to this forum but problem is slow start of computer and slow opening of programs as well even my comp is with good specifications (2.6Gb speed, 1GbRAM 80GbHD, WinXP Pro). so, I need to get rid of some of programs from taskbar they loading with every boot of comp.
I tried START>RUN>MSCONFIG then System Configuration windows come up and say: An Access Denied error was returned while attempting to change a service. You may need to log on using An Administrator Account to make specifieed changes.

I have no idea what's this mean. I never used Administrator Account because my computer is home based. How can I fix this to run MSCONFIG? tHIS ONLY APPLIED TO THIS OPTION, NOT WITH REGEDIT OR SO.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:50 PM

Posted 27 January 2006 - 05:57 PM

Does the account that you use have Administrator privileges?

Since you mention that you had a problem previously, could it be that the repair of the problem has caused some of these issues? Was the problem completely solved - or could it be possible that some of the bad stuff is still lurking on your system?

Go to Start...Control Panel...User Account and check to see what your account is listed as. If it's listed as "Limited" - then you don't have the privileges to run this program and have to change the account to one with Administrator privileges.

If it does have Administrator privileges - then something is broken and needs to be fixed.

Please let us know if your account has administrator privileges and we can work from there.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 SerbOz

SerbOz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:50 AM

Posted 28 January 2006 - 05:25 AM

Hi usasma,

Have no idea what that "Administrator privilegs" mean. I followed your instraction and have this:
User Accounts
Pick a task...
Change an account
Create a new account
Change the way users log on or off

or pick an account to change

user (computer administrator) Guest (Guest account is off)

According to this look as a have Administrators privilege.

Please let me know what to do next.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:50 PM

Posted 29 January 2006 - 09:38 AM

Since you only have 2 accounts on your computer (the Administrator and the the Guest) - and, since the Guest account is OFF - you must be the Administrator (and as such, you have Administrator privileges.

So, this complicates the problem - because the Administrator has permission to do almost anything on the system (this is particularly true of MSCONFIG).

So, there's a problem with your system. We can fix it, but we'll have to do some troubleshooting to determine what's causing it.

The first step is to perform a free, online scan at this site to determine if your protection package has missed anything: http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

Once you let us know the results of the scan we can proceed with more troubleshooting steps.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users