Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Corrupting Flash Drives?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Francis K

Francis K

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:59 AM

Posted 22 October 2011 - 10:44 PM

Hello everyone, thank you in advance for any help.

One day computer "A" told me my Sandisk Micro USB flash drive needed to be formatted but unfortunately windows could not complete the formatting. All other USB devices were working fine so I assumed the flash drive had just crapped out and I picked up a new one.

I inserted the new Verbatim Store N' Go into computer "B" and everything worked fine. I then inserted it into computer A and it gave me the same error as the Sandisk did and of course it could not format it. I tried it at computer B again and the formatting process completed and it worked as normal. Then tried computer A again and of course it needed formatting and the computer couldn't do it.

I googled it, tried a bunch of different things such as formatting as NTFS instead of FAT and uninstalling the device but nothing worked.

So basically one of my computers is rendering flash drives as unformatted and cannot format them. I really need flash drives to work on this computer, does anyone have any idea of what could be causing this?

I am running fully updated versions of XP.

Thank you again

-Frank

Edited by Francis K, 23 October 2011 - 01:58 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,391 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2011 - 09:24 AM

I would uninstall the USB controllers (not hubs, not devices) via Device Manager...reboot...and see if the problem remains.

Louis

#3 Francis K

Francis K
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2011 - 07:35 PM

Please excuse my ignorance Louis, there are 6 USB controllers listed, do you mean to uninstall all of them? Wouldn't that mean that I would have to reinstall all the controllers? That might be a problem since my mouse and keyboard are hooked up via USB.

Again please excuse my ignorance! I'm decent with software but with hardware I'm clueless!

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,391 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2011 - 10:41 AM

USB drivers...are part of the Windows install. They install automatically with Windows on the reboot.

Yes, uninstall all 6 USB controllers listed :).

Louis

#5 Francis K

Francis K
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2011 - 08:51 PM

Again thank you for the reply Louis but unfortunately that didn't get it either, it recognized all the USB's plugged in but I'm still getting the same error. It says the flash drive needs to be formatted, even when it's been formatted on another comp, and then it cannot finish the format. Any other USB device works fine and this problem comes up with every flash drive I try on this PC.

This is driving me nuts, any other ideas? I've searched for hours but couldn't find a solution, I really need flash drives to work on this comp!

Thanks again,
Frank

Edited by Francis K, 31 October 2011 - 08:52 PM.

#6 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:59 PM

Posted 31 October 2011 - 09:38 PM

Could you check your services startup for plug and play?
1. Go to Start then choose Run.
2. Type services.msc - Enter.
3. Look for Plug and Play and check if its on Automatic. If not, double click and change startup type and make sure to hit Apply.
4. Check also SSDP Discovery Service and Disable it startup type.

Tekken

#7 Francis K

Francis K
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2011 - 07:09 PM

IT WORKED!!

Wow, thank you so much for all the help. The plug and play was already set to auto but the SSDP was on manual, I disabled it and it's all set to go!

I cannot thank you enough! I searched for days and tried everything!

Edited by Francis K, 01 November 2011 - 07:09 PM.

#8 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:59 PM

Posted 02 November 2011 - 06:11 AM

Thanks for letting us know Francis :thumbup2:

Tekken

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users