Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Connected new hard drive, system won't read old one

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 spants

spants

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:54 AM

Posted 22 October 2011 - 09:57 PM

Hi All,
I received a SMART failure warning on my OS drive (master) and just replaced it and reloaded Windows. It works fine with the new master connected. It works fine with the new master connected and the old master connected as the slave. But when I try to connect the drive I had been using to store data my computer won't boot. In the BIOS it's not recognizing the master. Any thoughts?
Windows XP Pro SP3
Dual XEON
2GB RAM
Western Digital 320GB (master) and 500GB (slave)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:54 PM

Posted 22 October 2011 - 10:19 PM

The information or details on your computer model/specs and hard drives(SATA or IDE) would provide a way to understand your problem.

Tekken

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,378 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2011 - 09:19 AM

Please post a screenshot from Disk Management.

Start/Run...type diskmgmt.msc and hit Enter.

Click Print Screen to save.

Open your image editor or use a program like Irfanview to paste the screenshot from the clipboard...reduce the size and change the format to .jpg, then upload that saved image as an attachment in your next post.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic195438.html

Louis

#4 spants

spants
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2011 - 10:48 AM

jhayz: They are IDE drives
hamluis: My computer won't boot past BIOS so what would be the procedure on running a diagnostic or obtaining a screenshot?

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,378 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2011 - 12:28 PM

How many drives are we talking about...2...or 3?

You can run a diagnostic...on any hard drive, as long as it is the diagnostic from the website of that hard drive manufacturer.

Free Hard Drive Testing Tools - Hard Drive Diagnostics - http://pcsupport.about.com/od/toolsofthetrade/tp/tophddiag.htm

Hard Drive Diagnostic (Broni) - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic422712.html/page__st__30

The fact is...receiving a SMART message of any sort is not a good thing. I won't say that it's impossible for such warning/error message to be wrong...but I place 100% confidence in such that the drive is headed for a fall, if not already there.

My experience with bad drives indicates that Windows may not boot...when a bad hard drive is attached to the motherboard. In fact, that's one of my methods for testing any premise that I have a drive that is in trouble...I move it between my two systems to see if Windows will boot with it attached as a secondary drive.

Louis

#6 spants

spants
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2011 - 04:51 PM

Two Drives. I have replaced the failed drive so it is no longer the issue. Under the old system, I had a master with my OS on it, that's the one that failed, and a slave with may data on it which should be fine. When I connect the new master alone it works fine. When I connect the slave with the data the system won't boot and the BIOS won't recognize the new master. I will try the diagnostic tools but I still don't know how I can get you a screen shot since I can't get Windows to load.

#7 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2011 - 10:05 PM

IDE means they have jumpers. http://www.helpwithpcs.com/upgrading/install-hard-drive.htm

Tekken

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,378 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2011 - 02:14 PM

Good thinking :).

Check the jumper settings on each drive, please.

The jumper on the boot drive...should be set at CS (cable select)...as should the jumper on the secondary/data drive.

Drives come from manufacturers typically employing the CS setting for jumpers, since they assume that no one uses the old IDE cables which mandated Master/Slave settings.

http://seagate.custkb.com/seagate/crm/selfservice/search.jsp?DocId=168019&NewLang=en

If both drives don't reflect either CS for both...or Master for one, Slave for the other...then that could be your problem.

Louis

#9 spants

spants
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2011 - 10:42 PM

I ran the WD lifeguard test from a CD. It seemed to boot from CD but only got so far before it displayed an error saying it couldn't find a file on the A:\ (Floppy) Drive. I had the drives set to Master for OS and Slave for data and changed them to Cable Select but still won't boot and Bios doesn't register OS Drive.

Edited by spants, 24 October 2011 - 10:43 PM.

#10 spants

spants
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2011 - 08:07 PM

Will boot without the older data drive connected. When older drive connected, BIOS indicates only older drive. SATA RAID feature disabled. Can't get WD Lifeguard to run. Are there any other settings anywhere that I should try changing?

#11 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2011 - 08:30 PM

When I connect the new master alone it works fine. When I connect the slave with the data the system won't boot and the BIOS won't recognize the new master.

You have a previous master hard drive with a slave drive as back up storage that worked before. The previous master drive failed and you've replaced it with a new drive, reinstalled successfully the OS. Now when connecting the slave drive again as your backup storage with the new master drive, the computer won't boot and or recognize both drives. Is that correct?

Tekken

#12 spants

spants
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2011 - 09:36 AM

That is correct. It boots successfully with only the Master. When both connected will not boot however BIOS indicates Slave and not Master.

#13 spants

spants
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2011 - 02:56 PM

Recent Developments and Back Story
Existing System: Hard Drive A (OS) and B (Data). Was having difficulty booting, system would boot cyclically without loading windows. Similar to virus infections I have had before (many months ago). Received SMART Immanent Failure Warning on HD A. Ran SeaTools. Drive Failed.
Replaced HD A with new HD C
Installed Windows. Boots Normally
Shut down PC to add existing HD B as Slave. Upon start will not load Windows. Bios no longer indicates new HD C however indicates existing HD B.
Set them both to Cable Select with no change in results.
Cannot get WD Lifeguard to run.
Replaced existing HD B with FAILED HD A as Slave and new HD C as Master OS. Boots normally, can read HD A. NO SMART FAILURE WARNING!
Switched HD A and B again. Set up is now new HD C as OS and existing HD B as Data. Set both to Master. Received SMART Failure warning on HD B for first time.
Set them back to Cable Select. Switched their positions on the IDE Cable. Bios Recognizes both drives but will not load Windows. No warning.
Any suggestions? Could this be a BIOS issue? An issue with the Cable?

#14 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,378 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2011 - 05:30 PM

It could be a failing CMOS battery, IMO. Such usually create configuration/hardware problems, along with the possibility of false error messages re system hardware.

CMOS Battery Replacement - http://www.liverepair.com/encyclopedia/articles/cmosreplace.asp

Battery costs less than $5, so even if it's not the problem...it's a cheap attempt at nailing a suspect.

Louis

#15 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2011 - 10:25 PM

I don't know if there is a setting on BIOS to turn off SMART HD but might wanna check the difference on your booting problems.In addition to hamluis' suggestion which is more likely the culprit.

Tekken

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users