Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can I use this modem with any dsl service?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ghead

ghead

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:11 PM

Posted 22 October 2011 - 08:50 PM

Hello, I have at&t's 2wire wireless gateway (2701HG-8) and since I got rid of at&t's cruddy dsl I need to get a new dsl provider.
I would like to know if I can use the 2wire gateway with any dsl provider?
For example if I got Netzero's dsl, once they start my connection, can I just plug up my 2wire and have the connection work through the new Netzero dsl?

Thanks in advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:11 AM

Posted 22 October 2011 - 10:00 PM

http://servicetips.whitefence.com/comes-netzero-high-speed-internet-3427.html

Features included with DSL service consist of a modem with firewall; Norton AntiVirus online; MegaMail, which is email with spam and virus protection; popup blocker and a backup HiSpeed dial-up account. Another feature included is free live customer support all day, every day.

Tekken

#3 ghead

ghead
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2011 - 10:33 PM

That doesn't answer my Q. I wouldn't want to use there cruddy $30 non wireless modem anyways and I might not even get Netzero's dsl, I was just using them as an example. I just want to be able use the 2wire wireless modem I already have but just want to make sure that it can be used with any dsl provider regardless of who I eventually choose.

Edited by ghead, 22 October 2011 - 10:34 PM.

#4 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:11 AM

Posted 23 October 2011 - 09:11 PM

What's the deal of scrapping your subscription with AT&T? You might wanna review the connection and even the network device capability itself when switching to other DSL. Since its a modem/router, I think it would be mostly capable of hosting other providers basing on the specification but not as a dedicated. Again sometimes its situational on what the user wants or how the computers on home network are set up. Check reviews and recommendations on both your device and the provider by the net or long time users you know that will match your requirements.

Tekken

#5 ghead

ghead
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2011 - 11:46 PM

My service/contract has already ended with at&t and I don't want to use them again but since I got the free wireless modem from them, then I would like to use it with a different dsl provider from which I haven't decided on yet. I'll see if I can find anything on the net of users with at&t's 2wire's and using them with other dsl providers successfully, but I was hoping that this would be the place to find that out.

Edited by ghead, 31 October 2011 - 11:47 PM.

#6 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:11 PM

Posted 17 December 2011 - 12:04 PM

Hi Ghead
You should be able to use that router with another ISP, but you will have to change the router settings to the username and password given to you by your new ISP. I have used a known good router on several different ISPs as a means of checking that connection problems are not down to somebody's router being faulty.
Put the IP number for the router into the address bar on your browser, it's usually something like 192.168.0.1 but should be on the back of the router anyway. This will bring up a box asking for a username and password, common defaults are 'Admin' and 'Admin' if you haven't changed the password ( which you should have ! ). This will then take you into the router control panel.
Then, on a page called 'Basic settings' or something similar, you should see entries for 'Log-in' and 'Password'. Select these in turn and type in the values given you by your new ISP, log out of the router control panel and you should be good to go. The log-in value is normally your telephone number, the @ symbol and your ISP's address, as an example 01234567@talktalk.net . The password is a random string which is case sensitive.

Regards,

Chris Cosgrove :whistle:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users