Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problems with Startup

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 angelojuusan

angelojuusan

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:29 PM

Posted 22 October 2011 - 03:25 PM

Okay, yesterday at about 10:30pm Pacific Time, my computer turned off for absolutely no reason-no bluescreen, no forced restart, no warning, no nothing. When I turned it back on, the Acer screen came on (the one that mentions I can press F2 for the Setup Menu) and then nothing. In other words, Windows isn't starting. Anyone know something I can do to fix this, aside from getting a new computer?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TM_Paul

TM_Paul

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2011 - 03:51 PM

2 ideas:

1. Fix MBR
2. Run windows recovery

"I'll be your silent gaurdian. A watchful protector. A dark knight..."

#3 angelojuusan

angelojuusan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2011 - 05:34 PM

Okay-How do I do either one of those things?

#4 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:29 AM

Posted 22 October 2011 - 10:27 PM

Can you boot to BIOS and load default settings?

Tekken

#5 goldengurl

goldengurl

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:29 PM

Posted 23 October 2011 - 01:15 AM

It's funny you are having the same problem I am with my computer. I can run just about anything on safe mode, I just can't run Windows in the normal form. I too am anxious to know how to fix the blue screen that shuts my computer off before I ever get on. I'm not sure how to go to BIOS and load the default settings. Please help me. I too am relatively new to computer software. I wouldn't say i'm completely illiterate to computers but there is alot i don't know.

#6 goldengurl

goldengurl

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2011 - 01:16 AM

I am able to load just about anything but when I try to load windows normal, shortly after it starts I get a blue screen with a bunch of words and then my computer shuts down?

#7 goldengurl

goldengurl

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2011 - 01:20 AM

Oh yeah, I tried to run windows recovery and it did the blue screen and then shut off and it keeps doing it. Although I haven't tried doing that when I'm in safe mode?

#8 TM_Paul

TM_Paul

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2011 - 03:08 AM

Oh yeah, I tried to run windows recovery and it did the blue screen and then shut off and it keeps doing it. Although I haven't tried doing that when I'm in safe mode?

I think you problem is more serious goldengurl, a BSOD in windows recovery sounds like a hardware failure or incompatability issue already

#9 TM_Paul

TM_Paul

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2011 - 03:10 AM

Okay-How do I do either one of those things?

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/bootcons_fixmbr.mspx?mfr=true

You can already do both from here - either just fix the mbr or do a recovery all in all.

Edited by TM_Paul, 23 October 2011 - 03:11 AM.

#10 JeffHarris

JeffHarris

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2011 - 06:23 AM

Try system restore. System Restore can return your system files to a point in time before you noticed a problem, without affecting documents, photos, or other personal files. If System Restore doesn't fix the problem, you can undo the restore operation and choose another restore point.

Open System Restore by clicking the Start button , clicking All Programs, clicking Accessories, clicking System Tools, and then clicking System Restore.‌ If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

Do check also this link for more solutions that might be helpful for your problem
http://www.techyv.com/questions/what-do-if-windows-wont-start-correctly

#11 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2011 - 06:53 AM

I believe this thread is for the original poster(OP) which is angelojuusan. goldengurl, please create a new topic for the benefit of others helping you and the OP.

Tekken

#12 angelojuusan

angelojuusan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2011 - 09:25 PM

See, the thing is, all the solutions seem to require Windows to start up. Windows does NOT start up on my computer. I've been using a friend's computer and my PSP to get online and ask. So basically, what happens is my computer turns on, and then it's just a black screen. Nothing at all. I have no clue what is happening-does anyone have an idea?

#13 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2011 - 10:09 PM

Posting the computer model would help. Tap F8 repeatedly on first powering up your PC to boot to Advance Menu/Safemode. If nothing happens there, use the key F2 or Del to boot to your BIOS setup to check on the drive is being detected and load default settings. Make sure you do not have any CD inserted or other devices connected to any usb ports as they could also cause blackscreen.

Tekken

#14 angelojuusan

angelojuusan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2011 - 12:41 PM

Posting the computer model would help. Tap F8 repeatedly on first powering up your PC to boot to Advance Menu/Safemode. If nothing happens there, use the key F2 or Del to boot to your BIOS setup to check on the drive is being detected and load default settings. Make sure you do not have any CD inserted or other devices connected to any usb ports as they could also cause blackscreen.

Alright, if this helps at all:
CPU Type: AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core processor TK-42
HDD Model Name: WDC WD2500BEVT-22ZCT0

I can't get to my F8 menu. If I could, I probably wouldn't be here.

#15 a_cup

a_cup

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2011 - 01:10 PM

Hi angelojuusan,

Can you hear the windows sound when you boot up...? It may be your monitor source is not selected properly and windows is loaded but you just can't see it...I had this happen to me once..Someone had clicked the Auto button on my monitor and it changed my monitor from opening with the DVI setting. All I got was a black screen. Clicking the source button on my monitor and selecting DVI, and turning off Auto solved the problem for me

Pauline

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users