Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Searching Mac for keyloggers

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Ciarusus

Ciarusus

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:31 PM

Posted 22 October 2011 - 02:59 AM

My mother recently bought a Macbook from craigslist. We then used it to purchase xcode, and a bit later two transactions were made in Mexico. This was actually not too far from where we bought the laptop.

From what I've read, remote virus infections are rare, and the real danger is self-installed viruses that are hard to detect. This would make perfect sense in this situation, as there were no other online purchases made with the card. I know this really seems more like a PC forum, but I am wondering if anyone knows anything I can do to search and remove the keylogger, or even where I should go to ask. Thank you for your time.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 AdaY

AdaY

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:31 PM

Posted 01 November 2011 - 09:30 PM

There are several ways to detect a keylogger on a mac, from simply reviewing the processes running on the computer to using a mac os spy detection program.

Step 1 Open the Activity Monitor to check for unknown process. This system tool will allow you to view the programs (processes) currently running on your computer.

Step 2 Check and Research any unfamiliar processes running in your “Activity Monitor.” Critical system processes sometimes have unrecognizable names, however, and keyloggers may have a name that sounds legitimate.

Step 3 Download and install a mac keylogger detector or another software firewall. This type of mac software alerts you when another program tries to connect to the Internet. It will detect a keylogger for mac before it sends information over the Internet, and allow you to block it.

If you place this topic in the Mac OS, you may get more replies.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users