Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Failed HDD

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 maranatha

maranatha

Whats That !

• Malware Response Team
  • 1,229 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:19 AM

Posted 21 October 2011 - 11:40 PM

Hi All
I believe my master hard drive has failed, My computer would not turn on, no fans, black monitor.
I have a duel boot set up, IDE HDD with XP on the master hard drive, a SATA W7 with a PCI card for the second HDD.
If the master HDD has power running to it my PC won't turn on, no fans, no monitor.
If I unplug the power to the master HDD the fans will start up but the monitor gives a message that it is going to sleep and then goes black.

Can anyone tell me how I can get my machine to boot up from the second hard drive? or why it won't boot from the second Hard drive?
I have even unplugged the IDE connection from the MB and still the second HDD won't boot up.

Any Help would be great.
Thanks
maranatha

Windows7 Professional 64 Bit

I'm going in the wrong direction to be in a hurry!

unite_mo.jpg

My help is always free, But I do accept donations.
Donate Here

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:19 AM

Posted 22 October 2011 - 01:37 AM

Has the second hard drive ever been set up as a bootable drive?

It may be set up to be dependent on the primary hard drive and accessed through that primary hard drive.

If this is the case, the reason your slave drive does not boot up is because the boot sector is not set up properly for it to be a solitary boot disk.

What is on this SATA hard drive? Was it used for storage? or a back up drive?

Depending on your answer depends on what solutions are offered for you to correct this.

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2011 - 01:46 AM

Also if your computer fails to boot with the IDE hard drive plugged in, you either have a hard drive with a shorted out diode or a bad short in the wiring that is attached to it.

Check for burned or melted wiring, specially the IDE cable, those wires can short if the ribbon wire is twisted and the cable burns through in that area.

Also check if perhaps the cable shorted out on a hot metal such as the processor heat sink, its been known to happen if cables make contact with hot surfaces.

Check the hard drive circuit board for a burned component, IDE drives usually have most of their components on the bottom side of the circuit board which is in plain view.

Bruce.

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#4 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:19 PM

Posted 22 October 2011 - 06:43 AM

monitor gives a message that it is going to sleep and then goes black

Could also be a video card problem.

Tekken

#5 maranatha

maranatha

Whats That !

• Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 1,229 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2011 - 07:32 AM

Hi
The second HDD has Windows 7 professional installed on it. From a Windows 7 disk.

I don't see any problems with the IDE cable, no melted or burned areas.
I didn't notice any burnt areas on the master HDD when I took it out the first time, but I'll remove it again and look closer.

Not sure how to check the video card without buying another one, which I don't really want to do, if there's a way I can check it to see if that's the problem.
Don't know how to get the intergraded video chip to work again without a way to get on the system and reinstall it.

maranatha

unite_mo.jpg

Donate Here

#6 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2011 - 04:52 PM

The second HDD has Windows 7 professional installed on it. From a Windows 7 disk.

You had the system set up so it was a dual boot system, correct?

So basically what happed during the boot to windows process is that you started out with a menu from which you had to choose either the default which was Windows XP or the second option which was Windows 7. Am I correct with this?

Bruce.

#7 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:19 PM

Posted 22 October 2011 - 10:14 PM

If you have onboard video, then removing the card will enable it along with checking the blackscreen message or booting problem. This will check the difference.

Tekken

#8 maranatha

maranatha

Whats That !

• Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 1,229 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2011 - 12:54 AM

Hi All
OK seems that jhayz was correct, I removed my video card and the system started up. both HDD's.

Thank you for your help.
maranatha

unite_mo.jpg

Donate Here

#9 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2011 - 01:32 AM

WAY TO GO jhayz!!! :clapping:

Thanks for your help, you deserve the credit and thanks for your participation!!!

Glad to see your problem has been resolved maranatha! :thumbup2:

Happy computing!

Bruce.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users