Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BIOS updates

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 LOVEMYPC

LOVEMYPC

• Members
  • 661 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:55 AM

Posted 21 October 2011 - 10:55 PM

HI,Is there need to update anything BIOS of my PC.
GATEWAY GT4010,WINXP,SP3,2.2MHZ,MEDIA CENTER.
I have read somewhere that it is possible to do upgrades to
the BIOS,if so how do i go about it and is it something that is
reasonably easy to do,PC is about 5yrs. old,THANKS

(Moderator edit: changed Topic Title and added Topic Description. jgw)

Edited by jgweed, 22 October 2011 - 08:32 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:55 PM

Posted 21 October 2011 - 11:13 PM

Hello and welcome to Bleeping Computer.

Speaking as a person who has flashed many BIOS chips in my career, I would first have to say that flashing a BIOS chip can occasionally go wrong rendering a computer un-bootable.

BIOS flashing/reprogramming has come a long ways however and the procedures are designed to become more fail-proof.

The first thing you should do is check the authentic web site for your motherboard for a list of BIOS updates and see what is listed as the reason for the update being released.

Often, some contain updates to support newer processors. Some are released to either support newer hardware or to fix a bug that was found in an earlier release.

If you system is running stable with your current BIOS, you should be okay with what you have for a BIOS firmware.

If you are planning on updating your system and the newer BIOS supports that hardware then this would be a good reason to update your BIOS.

Now I want to caution you, if for any reason the flash procedure is interrupted or stops, YOU DO NOT TURN OFF THE MACHINE UNTIL YOU ARE SURE THE FLASH WAS SUCCESSFUL AND THE UTILITY SAYS IT IS OKAY TO RESTART THE SYSTEM. FAILURE TO FOLLOW THIS RULE WILL BRICK YOUR BIOS AND YOUR MOTHERBOARD.

I didn't mean to yell, but I have to make it clear, that if a flash fails, the worse thing to do is restart your computer or power it off. If it fails during the procedure, keep trying until either the new BIOS code burns in or go back with the original BIOS file.

Give me a few to look up your motherboard and see what updates are available and what they are for.

After that I will ask you if you want to try updating your BIOS, if you choose to, I'll explain in detail how to do it safely.

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:55 PM

Posted 21 October 2011 - 11:31 PM

The gateway support web site only has one BIOS firmware and it appears to be for a Toshiba Samsung Storage Technology (TSST) DVD+/-RW Dual Layer Drive

As seen on this web page below.

http://support.gateway.com/us/en/product/default.aspx?tab=1&modelId=2809

That is NOT a motherboard BIOS, its for the DVD drive only!

Please be very cautious about downloading BIOS firmware from non-reputable web sites, that is a good way of getting a virus and flashing your BIOS chip with such can ruin your motherboard.

I can offer you one possible suggestion, try a web site to which I have used before to get BIOS firmware for motherboard, they were good to me when a flash failed to do the video going out during the flash, I was flashing with a floppy disk, I called them and told them what happend and they sent me a free BIOS chip which was already flashed with the newest BIOS release and I was able to keep the original floppy which contained the same BIOS that they sent me first.

Try this link http://biosagentplus.com/?ref=617 run the utility and it will tell you what BIOS is available for your motherboard. It does cost money to get the firmware or chip, but at least you have a guarantee it will work flawlessly or they will fix the problem for you for FREE!

Other than that, I do not see a trusted BIOS firmware release for your system on Gateway's web site, which is the only other web site I would trust.

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 21 October 2011 - 11:45 PM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#4 LOVEMYPC

LOVEMYPC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 661 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2011 - 06:12 AM

HI, I went and downloaded BIOSAGENTPLUS and did scan,it now is saved on clip board
my only problem right now is being able to send it you as now i have not been able to get
anything sent to anyone by using clipboard. Its suppose to be easy to do have not got it
down pat as how to do it,scan shows what i beleive to be chip needs updating,also there was
no mention of cost to so is it hidden somewhere i do not see it until i get ready to download
updates,it also shows 28% in need of updates,THANK'S FOR THE INFO.

#5 LOVEMYPC

LOVEMYPC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 661 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2011 - 01:50 PM

HI,On the dvd recorder that is the same model i have in my PC,did realize
until just recently that was a DL recorder,saw the DL on front of PC and did
not think much of it, maybe if i update drivers i can use it as of right i have
not been able to record from it,THANKS

#6 LOVEMYPC

LOVEMYPC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 661 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2011 - 04:22 PM

HI,I went farther into their web site found the price for their product.
To bad it doe's not match my wallet right now ,at least i know where to go now,THANK'S

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users