Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Will not boot; beeping errors

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Jekka

Jekka

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:06 PM

Posted 21 October 2011 - 08:09 PM

I cleaned out an old desktop PC I had, a compaq presario. It worked fine but when I went into the my computer section after trying to open the CD drive, the computer isn't even recognizing the CD drive at all.

Some bad advice later, a disconnect of the P2 cords going into the CD drive and a reconnect may have thrown the entire thing off of balance.

When trying to start it back up, black screen with a continuous beeping noise.

Which I vaguely recognize as a hardware error which could be related to the CD drive being disconnected and reconnected but I'm not sure.

Windows will not boot, just a black screen but all the lights are coming up on the tower and the fans coming on. When manually opening the CD drive I can see the laser light up but the green light on the outside of the CD drive isn't on at all.

After Disconnecting and reconnecting the cords the first time, I opened the CD drive and left it open. When the computer turned on the drive closed on it's own and the green light came back on.

Can anyone help? I hadn't used this PC in around a year or more and it was working until the whole CD drive thing.

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 .X.

.X.

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:06 PM

Posted 21 October 2011 - 11:24 PM

Did you do this unplugging/replugging with the power cord disconnected from the power supply?

#3 Jekka

Jekka
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2011 - 11:25 PM

Did you do this unplugging/replugging with the power cord disconnected from the power supply?

Yes

#4 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:06 AM

Posted 21 October 2011 - 11:26 PM

Desktop or Laptop and model number? Beep codes for HP http://h10010.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01732674&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&product=1132551#N215

Tekken

#5 Jekka

Jekka
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2011 - 11:42 PM

Desktop or Laptop and model number? Beep codes for HP http://h10010.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01732674&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&product=1132551#N215

Desktop, Compaq Presario the model number is SR2010NX

and I'm not really seeing a pattern with the beeping or I'm not just hearing it. It just beeps for a second goes off and does it again, there isn't any large gaps..it's almost continuous. It doesn't seem to be blinking either, would it blink on the screen or somewhere on the tower?

#6 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2011 - 12:06 AM

Completely remove the power cord and connector of the cd drive(power cord unplugged)first then see if it boots successfully. Make sure to ground yourself on the tower side casing before touching internal parts or components.

Tekken

#7 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:06 AM

Posted 22 October 2011 - 02:52 AM

As above from jhayz, also make sure there are no loose connectors remaining in the area that may touch anything else when you start the computer -

#8 Jekka

Jekka
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2011 - 01:48 PM

As above from jhayz, also make sure there are no loose connectors remaining in the area that may touch anything else when you start the computer -

the only other loose connector is the P3 or P5 that is for the expansion bay that is touching anything and this computer does not have anything else but the cd drive.

I have unplugged the connector both the large grey to the motherboard and the p2 that is coming from the power supply box and still it beeps when starting, disconnected or reconnected.

What can I do from here?

#9 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2011 - 10:57 PM

I have unplugged the connector both the large grey to the motherboard

This is the secondary channel going to the cd drive. Try removing CMOS battery for 5 minutes, again w/out the cd drive.Without the exact beep codes, we are lurking in the dark here...

Tekken

#10 Jekka

Jekka
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2011 - 09:02 PM

We found out the problem, it seems the cord strip (the one that looks like a wide ribbon) was misplugged in, after it got switched out, it started up again. We also found out the CD drive is bad, so it'll need replacing. Thanks for the help at least :).

#11 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2011 - 10:45 PM

Most connections have mounts that are designed not to be mistakenly plugged in. But glad you find that out early. :thumbsup:

Tekken

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users