Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Double Boot Screen/slow computer

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
19 replies to this topic

#1 EILEENNOLA

EILEENNOLA

• Members
  • 139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:17 AM

Posted 21 October 2011 - 03:00 PM

RDIT: Moved from MRL to XP for further review~~boopme

I do NOT know anything about computers. I only know the following b/c it was told to me by others:

I installed Vipre Premium on a computer in my office (not my computer) and it turns out there was a hidden paid version of Trend Micro that was expired and an active version of Superantispyware, which I didn't remove before I installed it(!) Well, as you already know, the conflicting antispyware caused problems.

I have been on the phone with "GFI" Vipre tech support since last Friday, with 5 different techs. I let a few try to fix it using Teamview which I know is frowned upon by everyone but this computer is 6 years old and the owner doesn't have one document on it, personal info, etc.

The Vipre techs had a hard time getting rid of Superantispyware and Trend Mirco but it appeared that they did so.

The computer was working until it was turned off and then back on 24 hours later. Now it slows to a crawl, the typing lags, etc. When I close out a screen, part of that outer screen stays on for a few seconds. And all screens close very slowly and in a choppy manner. Pages will load and load for minutes at a time until they appear.

The next time it was turned off and on, it went into a "double boot screen" (that's what the last GFI/Vipre guy called it.) The screen is black and looks like safe mode but doesn't show "safe mode." Once I hit on Windows XP (or the time counts down), the Vipre logo appears after 60 seconds or so and then it disappears. The screen then looks normal and the computer works (but with the same problems being slow, choppy, etc.) It's so slow that it's barley usable. And all of the problems have arisen since installing Vipre with the conflicting programs.

The Vipre guy said that it is a double boot screen b/c Windows XP and Windows Professional were both installed by my computer tech when the computer crashed in August and he fixed it. Vipre said that they couldn't fix it b/c it wasn't their fault.

I don't know if one of the Vipre techs screwed something up b/c I allowed them to network in safemode and use Teamview(?) Or maybe the tech guy who fixed it when it crashed did in fact install both XP and Professional but it was working great after he fixed it. Problems only appeared when I installed Vipre with the conflicting (hidden/expired) Trend Micro or the Superantispyware (active - free trial version.)

I was able to download the dds.text and ddd.attach as well as GMER and send it to this working computer but I won't attach them until someone tells me to. Thanks, -eileen

Edited by boopme, 21 October 2011 - 03:28 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,552 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2011 - 03:48 PM

Hi, welcome :).

Just for the record...I have never heard of any program (AV or otherwise) conflicting with SUPERAntiSpyware...so I'd like to know just how a determination was made...that such existed.

It is common for laptop makers/OEM system manufacturers...to install trial versions of various programs on the system. All of these can be removed via conventional means (Add/Remove Programs) or a program like Revo Uninstaller.

<<The Vipre guy said that it is a double boot screen b/c Windows XP and Windows Professional were both installed by my computer tech when the computer crashed in August and he fixed it.>>

Too many cooks in the kitchen, IMO.

Please...do not post any GMER, DDS, or other malware logs...in this forum.

System manufacturer and model?

Do you have a valid license for whatever Microsoft versions of Windows...are currently installed?

Any onscreen error messages?

Let's try this.

Download/install BlueScreenView, http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html .

Double-click BlueScreenView.exe file.

When autoscan is done (screen comes up), click Edit/Select All...then File/Save Selected Items.

Save the report as BSOD.txt.

Open BSOD.txt in Notepad, copy all content and paste it into your next reply.

Louis

#3 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 60,981 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:17 AM

Posted 22 October 2011 - 02:26 AM

I am moving this topic back to the malware removal forum, as I requested Eileen to posted it there. :)

Eileen, you mentioned you had the DDS and GMER logs, can you please post them?

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | lockerdome

Malware analyst @ Emsisoft

#4 EILEENNOLA

EILEENNOLA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 139 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2011 - 09:31 AM

I can't attach attach.txt or dds.txt. Please help! thanks, -eileen

#5 EILEENNOLA

EILEENNOLA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 139 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2011 - 09:47 AM

I hope that this is correct. -eileen

#6 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• 60,981 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2011 - 10:25 AM

This is indeed a real dual boot. Can you check how much free space both C and D have in My Computer?

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

#7 EILEENNOLA

EILEENNOLA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 139 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2011 - 12:05 PM

(C:) Capacity 16GB; Free 7.35GB; % of free space 45%

(D:) Capacity 58.56GB; Free 51.40GB; % of free space 87%

He has nothing on his computer! No photos, movies, music, etc.

#8 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• 60,981 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2011 - 12:49 PM

Could you completely uninstall Vipre and see if the computer is still slow?

regards, Elise

#9 EILEENNOLA

EILEENNOLA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 139 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2011 - 01:03 PM

Elise, Yes, I can try to uninstall Vipre but it has to be later because the owner is at his desk (he's semi-retired.) Do you think that the Vipre techs made a mistake(s)? Is it possible that Vipre is using all of his GB(?) -eileen

#10 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• 60,981 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2011 - 01:13 PM

It should not happen normally and Vipre isn't known to cause this, but it wouldn't be the first time that a security product seriously slows down a computer.

regards, Elise

#11 EILEENNOLA

EILEENNOLA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 139 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2011 - 04:49 PM

Elise - When the tech brought back my computer with the new drive installed (it was $50), he looked at the other computer with the double boot screen. He fixed it, somehow. I think by putting everything in the C: drive(?) Windows XP and professional were installed. That's the best I can explain - my head is spinning.

Now I have yet ANOTHER problem on my brand new hard drive!!! I tried to install Pirate Bay and I somehow downloaded "searchqu" (iLivid) which will not let me get rid of it as a search engine or as a tool bar. I read about it and uninstalled it but to make a long story short, I made it worse by trying to restore the system to 2 days ago.

When I did that, I made it worse - now I can't even run "about:config" like I did before. When I do, it shows my Juno screen that won't connect (something about trying to refresh the page or going off-line to work.)

I installed Malwarebytes and have a paid subscription of Vipre Premium. I tried changing my home page and I removed the Add-ons but nothing works. I obviously messed up some settings.

I REALLY appreciate your help. Thanks! -eileen

#12 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• 60,981 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2011 - 05:41 AM

Which computer is this one: the one you started this topic for, or the one we worked on before?

regards, Elise

#13 EILEENNOLA

EILEENNOLA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 139 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2011 - 11:02 AM

Sorry for the confusion. This is not the double boot computer. This is the computer that you diagnosed as having a "nasty rootkit" and you were right b/c it completely corrupted my hard drive.

My tech installed a new hard drive ("320 GB Internal 3.5: 7200RPM" for $50) and the computer was running fine until I tried to download Pirate Bay and somehow downloaded "searchqu" ("iLivid") which will not let me get rid of it as a search engine or as a tool bar.

I read about searchqu and tried to uninstall it without asking for your guys help(!) I figured I had bothered you enough with dumb problems that I had created myself.

I followed these directions:

1. Ran "about:config" then in the filter at the top, typed keyword.URL;
2. I removed whatever was in there and replaced it with http://www.google.com/search?q=
3. In the filter I put "browser.startup.homepage." I right clicked it and chose "Modify" and the "Reset."
4. I went to Firefox and removed the Add-Ons (Window iLivid Toolbar and Searchqu Toolbar)
5. Then I opened Windows Explorer and went to "C:\Program Files|Mozilla Firefox\searchplugins" and deleted "SearchquWebSearch.xml."
6. In "Add/Remove Programs," I deleted the programs ILivid and searchqu.

That got rid of searchqu but I couldn't get rid of Google as my homepage and tried to put Juno as my homepage in Internet Options. I was unable to do so and I did System Restore to 2 days earlier, thinking that it would fix it. Now I Searchqu is back and and I can't even run "about:config." When I do, it shows my Juno screen that won't connect (there's some message about trying to refresh the page or going off-line to work.)

I installed Malwarebytes and have a paid subscription of Vipre Premium. I obviously screwed everything up by doing Systems Restore.

Can you help? I am going to make a donation to BC right now! Thanks once again, -eileen

#14 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• 60,981 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2011 - 04:28 PM

You can just try to locate this in Add/Remove programs, but it is really no surprise you get infected using torrent downloads as available at ThePirateBay; many of the downloads are illegal and are used to distribute the latest malware.

What browser is affected by SearchQu?

regards, Elise

#15 EILEENNOLA

EILEENNOLA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 139 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2011 - 04:49 PM

I ran dds and GMER if you want me to attach those.

When I click on Firefox, it goes directly to searchqu.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users