Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Monitor Acting Odd (Pics)

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 sbdblyss

sbdblyss

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:43 PM

Posted 21 October 2011 - 02:56 PM

Hey everyone,

I have a monitor that is acting strange. It is on a laptop. The screen is not cracked or broken. Sometimes the screen is fine, but most of the time it looks as follows:

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Thanks for any advice you have!
My mind isn't quite sure what it has bargained for, but my heart is in time with, with the consistency of Your's.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:43 PM

Posted 21 October 2011 - 03:07 PM

Try the monitor on another computer to eliminate the LCD display is damaged with the same cables connected to it now. If you get the same results, then try different cables. If the new cables make the monitor work as is then you need to replace your cables, and if the new cables do not rectify the issue. Then your monitor maybe damaged, but in cases like this the likely culprit is a dead or dying video card. Please dust out the computer with a can of air to allow the cooling fans to work as they should.

#3 sbdblyss

sbdblyss
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:43 PM

Posted 21 October 2011 - 03:44 PM

Thanks for the advice. This is a laptop so checking the cables and plugging it into another computer are not really options. It can't be software because it happens, or doesn't happen, immediately upon power up.
My mind isn't quite sure what it has bargained for, but my heart is in time with, with the consistency of Your's.

#4 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:43 PM

Posted 21 October 2011 - 05:34 PM

I think Cryptodan over looked the fact that this is a laptop by mistake, it can happen.

When graphics act up such as yours is doing, it is often a sign of an over heated graphics component or one that is failing.

What you should try is connecting the laptop VGA port to an external monitor, most laptops come with a VGA port.

If the chip is good on your motherboard, the display should be fine.

If this is the case, then there may be a faulty circuit between your inverter and the motherboard, or a faulty inverter.

First try the external monitor for a while and see if the problem is still evident.

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#5 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:43 PM

Posted 21 October 2011 - 09:23 PM

Thanks Bruce.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users