Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win. XP Professional

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Chris4835

Chris4835

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:52 AM

Posted 21 October 2011 - 12:54 PM

The other day I added a second hand video card to my computer. Win. XP installed the drivers and it was working fine for a couple of days. But then it stopped working. So I removed it and used the on-board video. The next time I turned the computer on it came on with the scan disk, informed me of an improper shutdown.

After the scan was finished it started to reboot. But the Scan disk Screen remained on. I could hear the XP startup sound. But couldn't see the desktop. By moving the mouse around randomly and double clicking I could see the HD. light blinking, as if it was starting whatever that I pointed to.

Unfortunately now I have no way to shut down windows correctly. And when I turn the power switch off and then on again, the same process starts all over again. Is there a solution to this problem? Other than reinstalling Windows.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:52 AM

Posted 21 October 2011 - 02:09 PM

Boot to Advanced Boot options (F-8 every second or so after starting the machine). Select Last Known Good Configutation.

#3 Chris4835

Chris4835
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2011 - 02:47 PM

Thank you very much bludgard. I did try starting in SAFE MODE several times and got exactly the same results, Stuck on the ble scandisk screen. I even tried the other startup options, even command prompt. Scandisk started at every boot up.

Then, after reading your post I tried it one more time. But this time, from the start menu I selected ENABLE VGA. And glory be, XP started right up as if nothing at all was ever wrong. Except I couldn't change the display settings. But even with those settings I could do almost everything, even go on the Internet and search for the latest video driver for the on-board video.

I'm suprised nobody else ever ran into this problem, and knew the answer to it. This is worth remembering.

#4 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2011 - 09:49 PM

Try uninstalling the Display driver via Task Manager. Reboot the machine.

#5 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2011 - 09:57 PM

All good and fine bludguard but the system will not boot.

Do you let chkdks ( I assume that is what you mean) complete?
It could take hours sometimes.
In the beginning there was the command line.

#6 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2011 - 10:10 PM

All good and fine bludguard but the system will not boot.

Chris4835 wrote:
"But this time, from the start menu I selected ENABLE VGA. And glory be, XP started right up as if nothing at all was ever wrong..."

If there is a boot; there is hope. :woot:

Edit: Or am I missing something obvious?

Edited by bludgard, 22 October 2011 - 11:02 PM.

#7 Chris4835

Chris4835
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2011 - 03:05 PM

Yes I did let chkdsk finish many times.. When it was finished it gve me the results, but then it just stopped there no matter how long I waited. Anyway now that it boots every time, since I installed the new video driver, I ran nother chkdsk and defrag. but somehow the computer is running very slow. Just to display, the disks, in my computer takes 3-4 minutes.
So now I'm running the virus scan with Microsoft Essentials program. It started at 9 AM and now it's 3 PM and it's brely half done, that's on a 40 GB hard drive, it scnned just over 463,000 items. I wonder if this is norml when running just a quick scan?

Actually when I checked on the computer at 1 AM it was finally finished. It took exactly 11 hours and 6 minutes and scanned a total of 829,817 items.

Edited by Chris4835, 24 October 2011 - 08:42 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users