Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I think I have a malware or virus

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 gmrx

gmrx

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:33 AM

Posted 21 October 2011 - 12:46 PM

Hi I think I have a malware or virus a month ago I started up my computer and I got a error that windows files were missing. So I used the sony vaio disks that had windows xp that came with the computer to start a full system restore.

I did that to the c drive and when I was done I could not update windows that I tried to use google and got redirected. So I then looked at my computer and saw that it has 1 HDD that was turned into both C & D and when I ran the disk it only did C so I deleted all the files on D and reran the CD and then custom and did both C & D that fixed the google issue but Windows will not update still.

Now when I download stuff I get "WINHTTP.dll was not found error" And when I went and looked are the "Preparation Guide For Use Before Using Malware Removal Tools and Requesting Help" enable a firewall is not on my Windows XP menu.

Sorry this is so long and sorry for any spelling errors I don't have a office program anymore :/ My computer is a hand me down 2002 I think P4 2.2ghz Sony Vaio with 1gb of ram with Windows XP home it should have 0 updates and has ie6 and I downloaded Malwarebytes it comes up clean.

Thank you and sorry

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TM_Paul

TM_Paul

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2011 - 01:29 PM

Dude, basing on your message I think you got a TDL4 Rootkit malware on your system. It usually resides on the MBR and the I can only suggest two things to you.

1. Ran TDSSKiller by Kaspersky - http://support.kaspersky.com/faq/?qid=208283363

2. Do a fix MRB - http://www.sysint.no/nedlasting/mbrfix.htm

"I'll be your silent gaurdian. A watchful protector. A dark knight..."

#3 gmrx

gmrx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2011 - 09:05 PM

I can not run TDSSKiller I get "WINHTTP.dll was not found error so I am stuck :/

I am not good with computers so I don't know what I should do now when I got the malware or virus I had XP fully updated and ie8 with all updates and Java and flash were updated in July I still dont know how I caught I just go to some game news sites, gamestop, facebook, slickdeals google and twitter I never go to sites that seam to be risky.

#4 TM_Paul

TM_Paul

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2011 - 09:42 PM

Hm, did you try fixing the MBR?

2. Do a fix MBR - http://www.sysint.no/nedlasting/mbrfix.htm

If you have a windows CD, you can go as far as doing a windows recovery. this should put back the missing windows components.

This is all I can suggest for now.

"I'll be your silent gaurdian. A watchful protector. A dark knight..."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users