Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

flash

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 davizona

davizona

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:46 AM

Posted 21 October 2011 - 09:19 AM

Ever since a week ago or so videos and any ads like the ones on yahoo started flickering and acting sporadic, usually blank unless I woud drag my mouse over them or scroll the page. I tried uninstalling adobe flash player a few times and think I have the latest version but no improvement. I have a new computer with windows 7. Logic tells me that its probably something simple conflicting with the program or activex or something like that, but thats about as far as my computer skills take me.
Any suggestions or thoughts?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:46 AM

Posted 21 October 2011 - 11:14 AM

You can't uninstall Flash via Add/Remove Programs. You have to use the uninstall tool at the link below or it won't uninstall properly. Try that and reinstall and see if that helps.

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/141/tn_14157.html

#3 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,518 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:46 AM

Posted 21 October 2011 - 07:51 PM

If a reinstall of flash doesn't do it, check the temperatures. If you don't have a temp monitor
installed now, use the free version of the program in link below. Check the temps for the processors
and graphics display hardware for sure.

SIW | Download

Just scroll down to the bottom of the page for the free home version.
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#4 davizona

davizona
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2011 - 01:08 PM

this siw link downloaded a trojan that my mcaffee detected and removed.
wtf?

You can't uninstall Flash via Add/Remove Programs. You have to use the uninstall tool at the link below or it won't uninstall properly. Try that and reinstall and see if that helps.

I did this and it still flickers

#5 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,518 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2011 - 02:31 PM

I just now downloaded SIW and scanned it at Virus Total with about 40 different security programs. One
was McAfee. NO malware. Did you use the torrent? I did not. I downloaded from the site.
Most likely a false positive.

But if you are gun shy use Speccy to check the temps.
Speccy - Download
Download from periform

Edit: Is this computer still under warranty?

Edited by buddy215, 22 October 2011 - 02:33 PM.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,567 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2011 - 02:36 PM

<<this siw link downloaded a trojan that my mcaffee detected and removed.
wtf?>>

Appears to me that you are mistaken in your accusation and statement about the origin of the trojan (if you have one on your system).

If your AV reported such...my guess would be it's a false positive by your AV.

Louis

For the record...I also downloaded the free version from the link posted.

Edited by hamluis, 22 October 2011 - 02:38 PM.

#7 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:46 AM

Posted 22 October 2011 - 06:22 PM

wtf?

That means Flash itself is not the problem. It could be settings within Flash. A right click on a Youtube player opens Flash settings. Uncheck Hardware Acceleration and see if that works.

#8 davizona

davizona
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2011 - 09:23 AM

wtf?

That means Flash itself is not the problem. It could be settings within Flash. A right click on a Youtube player opens Flash settings. Uncheck Hardware Acceleration and see if that works.

weird, when I hover my mouse cursor over the 'hardware acceleration' hyperlink you posted, a box appears that does the same thing I'm having a problem with. It flickers and flashes the 'video. I right clicked on it and saw settings and the disable hardware acceleration box. I was barely able to uncheck it, but even then it didnt help.
I agree flash is most likely conflicting with something else.

#9 davizona

davizona
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2011 - 09:26 AM

<<this siw link downloaded a trojan that my mcaffee detected and removed.
wtf?>>

Appears to me that you are mistaken in your accusation and statement about the origin of the trojan (if you have one on your system).

If your AV reported such...my guess would be it's a false positive by your AV.

Louis

For the record...I also downloaded the free version from the link posted.

perhaps, but there is a 'trojan' reported in my mcaffee interface that was removed.
Maybe a false positive, but still alarming.

#10 davizona

davizona
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2011 - 06:08 PM

Got it!
Just had to update my intel chipset driver.
Flash reinstalled and working ok now.

wtf?

weird, when I hover my mouse cursor over the 'hardware acceleration' hyperlink you posted, a box appears that does the same thing I'm having a problem with. It flickers and flashes the 'video. I right clicked on it and saw settings and the disable hardware acceleration box. I was barely able to uncheck it, but even then it didnt help.
I agree flash is most likely conflicting with something else.

#11 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,518 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2011 - 08:04 PM

Thanks for posting back with the fix.
I would never of thought to do that. Especially on a new computer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users