Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ip Address Question!

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 fashionista

fashionista

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:37 PM

Posted 27 January 2006 - 11:28 AM

Hi I'm new here and I have an IP address question. I'm not sure if it is supposed to be in this category if not sorry. Well I was on a website today and it said the user could check you IP address. What does this mean? Does this mean they can find out where you live or even hack into your computer? I'm toally unaware of this? Thanks for you help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Jubo

Jubo

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:37 PM

Posted 29 January 2006 - 03:44 AM

Maybe this explains it a bit: How Internet Infrastructure Works.
They can find out what IP address you use but not exactly find out where you live. You can also find out which IP address you have by going to Shields Up! and click the "Proceed" button. While you're there you could check if your firewall is working... :thumbsup:

#3 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:37 PM

Posted 29 January 2006 - 01:10 PM

They were probably letting you know they are tracking your IP address to deter persons from doing something foolish. If they track your IP in theory they could contact your ISP to find out who you are. First, without good reason an ISP will not reveal who you are. Second the people who do things to warrant such and investigation would know how to get around it also.
It is nothing you can do about it or should be too concerned about either. IMHO
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users