Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Has anyone tried Zorin OS

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:03 AM

Posted 21 October 2011 - 12:25 AM

http://zorin-os.com/tour.html

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Brewster Down Under

Brewster Down Under

• Members
  • 197 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:03 AM

Posted 21 October 2011 - 01:36 AM

Hi Rob,
tried 3 4 and 5 and found them excellent for windows users, everything works out of the box.
This will explain better than I ever could. :thumbup2:

PS. GO THE ALL BLACKS (can't believe I said that lol)

Edited by Brewster Down Under, 21 October 2011 - 01:44 AM.

Blame It On The Dog

#3 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:03 AM

Posted 21 October 2011 - 01:54 AM

Thanks BDU. Certainly looks good.
One question - I guess you just partition a drive and install as usual. I am using Win 8 x 64 on my 7 x 64 drive. I doubt if I will ever be using my 7 x 32 drive again so may just use that.
Cheers

Edited by rowal5555, 21 October 2011 - 05:33 PM.

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

#4 rburkartjo

rburkartjo

• Members
  • 3,981 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:03 PM

Posted 21 October 2011 - 06:14 AM

row used zorin for over a year.fast and easy to use
quote:He that would live in peace & at ease, Must not speak all he knows,nor judge all he sees.'

#5 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:03 AM

Posted 21 October 2011 - 07:02 AM

Downloaded Zorin 5.1, burnt the ISO, made a partition and had 3 unsuccessful attempts to install.

Is there a "How to" tutorial some place? Thanks.

#6 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,124 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2011 - 09:48 AM

Zorin pricing:
As always in the Linux world, you can take the free Zorin OS for a test drive without committing to it until you're ready. The Zorin OS 4 Core release is available for free download from the project's site. Alternatively, Zorin OS 4 Gaming and Multimedia releases each cost 10 euros, while Zorin OS 4 Ultimate is 15 euros from the project's store.

DSTM....The usual suspects for not being able to install are:
An improper burn of the ISO to CD
Not enough RAM...usually 500mb is enough for all distros.....
Partition is too small.....suggest a minimum of 12gb and more if you have it to spare

Is this your first attempt at installing a Linux distro? How far did you get in attempting to install? Any error messages?
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#7 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2011 - 12:08 PM

Hi Buddy215. I have 4GIGS Ram 200GIG partition on a 1 tera HDD. Windows7 Ultimate is the other OS on the drive.

ISO burnt correctly at slow speed. Guess it's just me not used to installing linux. I format and install Windows often and do repair installs.

What is confusing me is when it comes to partitions. I get lost in the steps.I will try UTUBE ALSO.

I have already made a partition and it's healthy. I will just have to keep trying.

It looks good on the video above and thought, why not.

Thanks Buddy for replying.

#8 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,124 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2011 - 03:45 PM

Here is some info on installing Ubuntu. Since Zorin is Ubuntu based, I am assuming the installation
is the same. I have not installed Zorin so if someone who has knows differently and reads this, please post.
There is much more info in this link:
WindowsDualBoot - Community Ubuntu Documentation
When a Windows installation already occupies the entire hard drive, its partition needs to be shrunk, creating free space for the Ubuntu partition. You can do this during the Ubuntu installation procedure, or you can see How to Resize Windows Partitions for other options.

If you have resized a Windows 7 or Vista partition and cannot boot up windows, you can use the instructions from WindowsRecovery to fix it.

Install Ubuntu
  • Download an Ubuntu LiveCD image (.iso) from Ubuntu Downloads and burn it to a disc (see BurningIsoHowto).
  • Insert the LiveCD into your CD-ROM drive and reboot your PC.
  • If the computer does not boot from the CD (e.g. Windows starts again instead), reboot and check your BIOS settings by pressing F2, F12, Delete, or ESC. Select "boot from CD".
  • Proceed with installation until you are asked this question: "How do you want to partition the disk?".
  • If you have already partitioned the disk and left space for Ubuntu, install it to that and then follow the rest of the steps.
  • Otherwise, choose one of the next two steps.

Automatic partition resizing (recommended)
  • Choose the first option, which should say "Install them side by side, choosing between them each startup".
  • Specify the size of the new partition by dragging the slider at the bottom of the window.
  • Click on "Forward".
  • Continue on to Finishing Ubuntu Installation

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#9 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2011 - 07:37 AM

Thanks for all the information, Buddy. Much appreciated.

#10 mrfingerz

mrfingerz

• Members
  • 228 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:03 PM

Posted 22 October 2011 - 01:04 PM

I just don't get the 'Zorin' thing. Yes, I suppose it's not a bad thing if it tempts some people to use Linux, but their usp is 'Ooooooh look how much this is like Windows7!'....personally I don't want Linux to be a clone of Windows. I haven't tried it admittedly and doubt I will in this lifetime.
It's nice to be important, it's much more important to be nice.

#11 Keith1

Keith1

• Members
  • 504 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2011 - 06:44 PM

I tried Zorin about a year ago, just to see what it looked like ( running from a live cd ). Sure, it had more of a 'Windows look', but I didn't really see the need for that.

I've been following this thread, and just had to try it again. First of all, I went to their official website and downloaded the latest version ( 5.1 ), and burned a live cd at low speed. After looking around it a bit, I decided to see how it would install. On my Windows XP Pro machine, I had previously shrunk it down to 60GB, so I had a 28GB unallocated space for my Linux partition. The install process was the same as Ubuntu/Mint ( which I have done dozens of times ) so I didn't forsee any problems, and I started the install.

As always, I selected the 'install alongside another OS and let me select the OS to boot at start-up'. So far so good - then I kept getting an error message about GnoMenu.py had closed - I've never seen that before. Since Zorin has some Compiz effects already installed, I'm thinking possibly it may be a 'conflict thingy'. Ignoring the error messages, I went ahead with the complete install. Ok.... all installed and ready to restart the computer. Normally in this procedure when the computer restarts I get get the option to boot whichever OS - such as sda1/sda6. But this time - no option, Zorin booted directly.

Now I'm not sure if it's the fault of Zorin, or 'my bad' on something, but I'm going to forego Zorin and work on getting my Windows partition to boot again tomorrow.

Just tossing in my experience with this for informational purposes.

#12 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2011 - 07:16 PM

I had similar problems, Keith. I naturally lost my boot loader xp/windows7. I wanted to get rid of Zorin and all my system would do was boot into Zorin.

Ended up running SFC /SCANNOW and had a look at the SFC log and much had to be repaired. It still booted into Zorin.

The only way I could stop this Zorin Boot was to put the Windows7 OS Disc in, select Repair my computer and still didnt fix the issue.Windows couldn't find anything wrong.

I then started again, put the Disc in again and under "Repair my Computer" selected Command prompt.

I then put this code in bootsect /nt60 SYS /mbr That fixed the boot order.

Then I removed the Zorin Partition from the Hard Drive.

This may help someone with similar issues.

I am not knocking Zorin 5.1 however I am not a linux Guru and will stick with Windows in future.

Edited by DSTM, 22 October 2011 - 07:18 PM.

#13 Brewster Down Under

Brewster Down Under

• Members
  • 197 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:03 AM

Posted 22 October 2011 - 09:13 PM

It seems it was a known issue back in June.
http://zoringroup.com/blog/2011/06/17/zorin-os-not-recognizing-other-operating-systems-at-boot-bug-fix/

The disk I have is Zorin OS 5 not Zorin OS 5.1
http://zoringroup.com/blog/2011/09/02/zorin-os-5-1-core-release/

It runs fine and that's why I was praising it.
Apologies to Keith1 and DSTM and sorry that you both tried it because of my earlier post.
Glad you got it sorted and I didn't cause to many headaches. :axe:
Blame It On The Dog

#14 Keith1

Keith1

• Members
  • 504 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2011 - 08:48 AM

No problem Brewster, I always enjoy trying a different distro.............. sometimes they work, sometimes not. Actually, it's always been a good learning experience for me - fixing things that don't work out.

#15 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2011 - 01:27 PM

No need for any Apologies Brewster. I like trying different software. Could have worked. It looked good. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users