Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable to Access Windows Service

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Siryu

Siryu

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:02 PM

Posted 20 October 2011 - 10:51 PM

Some time ago, when I turned on my computer, it took a noticeably long while to load up the desktop. When it finally did, I found that I could not connect to the Internet (it keeps saying "The dependency service or group failed to start"). Apparently I could not log in to some of Windows Services. The DHCP Client service was not running (though it was on automatic); I tried to manually run the service and got an "Error 5: Access Denied." Also, when typing in "ipconfig /release" in the command prompt, a message stating that the RPC server is unavailable is given; though, when I check on the RPC service, it seems to be running. I went to the registry keys for dhcp and tcpip, accessed permissions, and added in "network service." I then gave full control to all accounts on the list and applied the change. Nothing happened. Thinking that this might have something to do with not having administrator access, I went to the command prompt and typed in "net user administrator /active:yes" and it returned the "Error 5: Access Denied." I restarted the computer in "Safe Mode with Command Prompt" and tried the command; it worked. However, accessing the administrator account and handling things there seems to have no effect (Internet still does not work and desktop still takes a long while to load up). I have no idea how to fix this problem. Thanks for any help.
Edit: I made a slight mistake. The login account I had for the DHCP client was under Local Service. So, just to check things, I added in "local service" under permissions for the dhcp and tcpip keys and all their subkeys. This got the dhcp service running, but the Internet still does not work and I still get the message about the dependency service/group failing to start. When I type "ipconfig /release" in the command line, it now responds with "An address has not yet been associated with the network endpoint." What do I do now?
Edit: I might have been working around nowhere this entire time. When I checked the Device Manager, I noticed that under Network adapters, the Microsoft ISATAP Adapter #11 failed (Windows cannot load the drivers required for this device). Can anyone tell me what this device is and whether or not this is really the source of my problem?
Edit: I think this might have something to do with the problem: how do I enable a Vista Client to obtain an ipv6 dhcp address?
Edit: My base filtering engine service is giving me "Error 5: Access Denied." I'm guessing all the services I mentioned earlier and more failed while following up from this. The log in account is to local service, so I added in "local service" to the registry key (and its subkeys) and gave it full control. That did not fix the problem. This service depends on the RPC service and the DCOM Server Process Launcher, both of which are already running. Any help?
Edit: I managed to get the base filtering engine service running along with its dependencies (and some additional other services). I can now detect a network (it no longer gives the message with dependency services failing). The computer is linked to a router and it can detect the network, but it does not have internet access. Any help?

OS is Vista

I am on another computer right now.

**I posted this same thread titled as "Locked from Admin Account" under Vista forums (so you can delete that one if necessary).

Edited by Siryu, 21 October 2011 - 06:05 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Siryu

Siryu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2011 - 09:12 PM

When I type in ipconfig /release, it says an address has not yet been associated with the network endpoint.
When I type in ipconfig /renew, its says "an error occurred while renewing interface Local Area Connection: Access is denied."
When I type in ipconfig /all, I see that IP Routing and WINS Proxy are not enabled.

I am still unable to connect to the Internet. My computer can detect a network when I plug it to a router (probably from restoring the Network Connections), but it can not detect the other computer I have plugged into the router, which it used to be able to do. Any help?

Edited by Siryu, 24 October 2011 - 09:31 PM.

#3 Siryu

Siryu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2011 - 09:39 PM

By the looks of things, my computer can detect an incoming network, but it can not detect anything else on the network (it can not detect my other computer or the Internet). Any ideas or suggestions as to what to do?

Edited by Siryu, 25 October 2011 - 09:58 PM.

#4 Siryu

Siryu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2011 - 07:52 PM

Looking around, I found that the Winsock files under network components in msinfo32 should be

File c:\windows\syswow64\wsock32.dll
Size 15.00 KB (15,360 bytes)
Version 6.1.7600.16385

File c:\windows\system32\wsock32.dll
Size 18.00 KB (18,432 bytes)
Version 6.1.7600.16385

These also match the Winsock files for all the other computers I checked. The computer I've been talking about, however, does not have these files. It has 2 files of different versions and smaller size. I'm guessing this might be the problem. Does anyone know how to fix this?

Edited by Siryu, 26 October 2011 - 08:35 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users