Avast Internet Security
So the hub's netbook landed the fun fun Fake System Restore. Irritated & annoyed, he started clicking things before I had a chance to see what was going on...I believe his temp folder contents were altered.
I have been trying for two nights now to make it through the Remove System Restore guidelines with mixed results.
Here are some issues I've faced:
- It took a lot of attempts to get rkill on the desktop & run before this crap took over each attempt
- Rkill knocked out 4 processes
- TDSS did not find anything
- Usage of the keyboard & touchpad has been lost -- fully mouse-dependent
- Unhide.exe has already been run successfully
- Was able to run SuperAntiSpyware last night -- 4 items removed
- At one point the infected netbook showed connection to our home wifi, but I cannot get MBAM to update definitions
- Tried updating MBAM via install exe last night, but got an "access denied" error & update rollback
- MBAM prompts that last update was 50 days ago; tell it to update & it immediately says I have the latest version
- Upon windows (XP) launch, Avast (Internet Security) prompts "will not be able to protect mail/news" & check that it's not blocked by firewall
- Attempts at correcting Avast "Fix Now" item fail (Real-Time Shields are currently off)
- I cannot get MBAM to complete any scan due to a very quick BSOD/auto-reboot
- Was able to run MBAM long enough last night for it to find 4 items. Aborted scan & let it clean those up
- Ran MBAM full scan earlier tonight, found 3 items, then BSOD/auto-reboot
- Netbook was just sitting here now, after startup, nothing running, showing avast message (above), then BSOD
I'm at a loss for the most part right now trying to figure out what direction to go in at this point. I am attempting another SAS scan right now as I type this (nothing found but cannot update definitions).
Edited by mommehK, 20 October 2011 - 10:37 PM.