Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC Freezes when Gaming- GTX 460 possible overheating?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Progenitus

Progenitus

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:18 PM

Posted 20 October 2011 - 10:04 PM

Hello everyone, thanks for taking the time to read my topic

I am running a PC with the following specs:
Intel Core i7 930 @ 2.79 (stock)
Gigabyte GA-x58a-UD3R motherboard
Nvidia GeForce GTX460 Superclocked 1gb (factory overclocked)
3 Sticks of OCZ Gold DDR3 2gb RAM
Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit

For about a week the PC will freeze and require a reboot via the power button during random times: so far I've noticed it can be anything from opening itunes to opening firefox or chrome. Looks to be completely random. After rebooting a BSOD error popup after windows loads. In addition, playing almost ANY game will cause the screen to go black, and if I wait a bit longer, the PC will restart itself, then resulting in the BSOD error popup again. My best guess is overheating based on what others have said here but I would like someone to tell me what is wrong exactly... here is what the popup says:

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1033

Additional information about the problem:
BCCode: 116
BCP1: FFFFFA80062D54E0
BCP2: FFFFF8800F8CDFA4
BCP3: FFFFFFFFC000009A
BCP4: 0000000000000004
OS Version: 6_1_7601
Service Pack: 1_0
Product: 256_1

Thank you so much for any help given.

EDIT:: OH I forgot that I do NOT need to wait to restart the system, I can restart right away without it hanging anywhere. Then the system runs fine...

Edited by Progenitus, 20 October 2011 - 10:06 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:18 PM

Posted 21 October 2011 - 05:54 PM

Hello and welcome to Bleeping Computer.

I was following your description quite well until I seen the last part of your post.

Then I became confused.

This edited part is what I am referring to:

EDIT:: OH I forgot that I do NOT need to wait to restart the system, I can restart right away without it hanging anywhere. Then the system runs fine...

What confused me was the last five words: Then the system runs fine...

At the beginning of your post you stated the issue was the following:

Looks to be completely random. After rebooting a BSOD error popup after windows loads. In addition, playing almost ANY game will cause the screen to go black, and if I wait a bit longer, the PC will restart itself, then resulting in the BSOD error popup again.

Your edit contradicted your original complaint by stating the system runs "fine"

If you are experiencing issues with system crashes there can be one of the following causes:

1) Inadequate power supply.

2) Faulty video card.

3) Inadequate system cooling.

4) buggy drivers which access invalid memory addresses.

Solutions:

1) Purchase a larger output power supply (specially on the 12 volt rail)

2) Try a different video card.

3) Add more cooling fans to system, wouldn't hurt if video card comes with no cooling fan, to add one designed to cool processors, two screws can hold it in place.

4) Try a different driver version and make sure those drivers come from your hardware vendors web site only!!

As for your crash report, that information does not effectively offer any particular reason for the crash. Check Administrative tools and look under event viewer for more details.

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users