Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Word Folders And Documents Indexing

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 whatapalaver

whatapalaver

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:18 AM

Posted 27 January 2006 - 11:12 AM

My OS is Windows Home Edition and I have Office 2000. I have created many hundreds of folders and thousands of Word documents and I am constantly adding to the list. When I open Office 2000 I like to see my folders and documents in 'list formation'. I have developed my own system of indexing the folders and documents, both numerically, and upper and lower case alphabetically, and sometimes I expand by creating double or treble numerical and alphabetical references. I'm happy with it but appreciate that others might think it a pain in the butt.

I sometimes have to rearrange the index system because more and more information is being saved [I always backup before I do that] and so I pore over the monitor, changing this to that and moving folders and documents from here to there while I give them new numerical and alphabetical references. It is a chore and I can see a time when the complete alphabet and the numbers 0 to 9 will not accomodate what I am doing.

So, does anyone know of a better system? A proven system that can be laid over my own system?

Also, I would like to have a print-out of my lists of folders and lists of documents, ie., to have a printed copy of what I see on my monitor when I open Office 2000. If that can be done, how do I do it?

Yours sincerely. whatapalaver

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:18 AM

Posted 27 January 2006 - 12:11 PM

Also, I would like to have a print-out of my lists of folders and lists of documents, ie., to have a printed copy of what I see on my monitor when I open Office 2000. If that can be done, how do I do it?

JR Directory Printer - Freeware
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:18 AM

Posted 27 January 2006 - 06:02 PM

Probably the best tool for this is the document indexer service that's built into Office. I'm not very familiar with it because I don't have anywhere near as many documents as you do.

Here's a link that explains it: http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default....xintro_03l1.asp

Please be aware that this service takes a lot of resources from what's available on your system (most of us disable it because we have no need for it). But, if it's necessary for what you do - here's some more info on how to enable/disable it: http://www.theeldergeek.com/indexing_service.htm
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 whatapalaver

whatapalaver
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:18 AM

Posted 29 January 2006 - 06:58 PM

Thank you asasma,

I have seen the link >http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default....xintro_03l1.asp<. Though it appears to be complicated, it may be the answer for indexing and cataloguing the content of documents.

However, by chance, after I asked my question, I found in a back issue of a computer magazine a recommendation for Gadwin PrintScreen V 3.1. It is freeware.

>>"Gadwin PrintScreen lets you capture images from your computer screen. For example, you can capture the entire screen, individual windows to use as an illustration in a manual or on a Web site."<<

Installation is simple. It does what it says and I like it. Others who venture to download and install it may agree.

Gadwin PrintScreen 3.1 can be found at www.Gadwin.com.

Kind reqards, whatapalaver

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users