Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BSOD

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 thephfactor

thephfactor

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:17 PM

Posted 20 October 2011 - 08:59 PM

Hello everyone! The computer I am currently using recently has been bluescreening randomly. Could this have anything to do with:
a. The hard drive is from a laptop put into a desktop, and keeps claiming that our "copy of Windows is not genuine"
b. I am using this computer to access help for a problem on another computer and switch the monitor cable with the computers on. It seems like it bluescreens right or soon after I switch sometimes.
Would appreciate help here! In brief, if possible.

The computer shows no other symptoms of failure.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Johnny_Gee

Johnny_Gee

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2011 - 09:23 PM

try putting the HD in another laptop instead of a desktop
Windows 7 Home Premium 64BIT:
6GB RAM
1TB HDD
AMD Athlon 2x4 @ 3.1GHZ

#3 a_cup

a_cup

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2011 - 10:08 PM

Check event viewer and see what error you are getting...right click on 'my computer'>>click manage>>event viewer...errors will be marked in red..Check the source of the error to narrow down the cause...The following link will show you how to use the event viewer to troubleshoot problem

How To Use the Event Viewer Applet
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic40108.html

Post back let us know !

Pauline

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,384 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2011 - 08:50 AM

<<The hard drive is from a laptop put into a desktop, and keeps claiming that our "copy of Windows is not genuine">>

The hard drive from any laptop...since all laptops are OEM...contains the settings/drivers, etc. for a specific system.

Moving that hard drive to a different system...as a boot drive...is a violation of the Microsoft EULA, since the license data relates to a system which is not the one you installed the hard drive into.

The only situations in which this would not apply would be if you are using the laptop hard drive merely as atorage, secondary hard drive...or (possibly) if you move the hard drive into a system which has the exact same hardware and is made by the same manufacturer.

Changing a Motherboard or Moving Hard Drive - http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/moving_xp.html

Louis

#5 thephfactor

thephfactor
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2011 - 09:31 AM

The Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 5 time(s).

(my logs are littered these same events)

Faulting application wmpnetwk.exe, version 11.0.6001.7000, time stamp 0x47919370, faulting module Indiv01.key, version 11.0.6000.7000, time stamp 0x474eb2de, exception code 0xc0000005, fault offset 0x000ae89b, process id 0x11b4, application start time 0x01cc8f8fef33ebb3
this happened about the time of the BSOD as near as I can tell.

#6 thephfactor

thephfactor
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2011 - 11:57 AM

Ok now I'm really sure it's somehow caused by the monitor switching, because I just switched monitors and it bluescreened again. :angry:
Does that make sense? The graphics card also seems loose, it's a crappy tool-free PCI slot thing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users