Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

External Hard Drive

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 cibi_1

cibi_1

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:52 AM

Posted 20 October 2011 - 08:37 PM

Hello,

Recently I have purchased an External Hard Drive Seagate FreeAgent GoFlex 3.5" Desktop 2TB. File system is NTFS, which I intend to keep. I am going to use it for storage purpose. Would anyone recommend partitioning the hard drive? Is it necessary in terms of performance?

I'm running Windows XP SP3.

Thank you.

Edit: Moved topic from XP to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Johnny_Gee

Johnny_Gee

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:52 PM

Posted 20 October 2011 - 08:48 PM

Im guessing if your going to be installing a separate OS it would be a good idea
Windows 7 Home Premium 64BIT:
6GB RAM
1TB HDD
AMD Athlon 2x4 @ 3.1GHZ

#3 .X.

.X.

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:52 PM

Posted 20 October 2011 - 09:17 PM

No need to partition it but why are you going to use it for storage? What happens when it fails? You should use it for backups!

Edited by .X., 20 October 2011 - 09:18 PM.

#4 Calum

Calum

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2011 - 05:09 AM

What are the advantages of partioning an external hard drive? I've lost connection of mine for reasons unknown. I may have lost all the data on it. Would partioning it mean there is less chance of that happening again?

#5 .X.

.X.

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2011 - 05:18 AM

What are the advantages of partioning an external hard drive?
There's no real advantage. Some may do it for organizational purposes.

I've lost connection of mine for reasons unknown
Connection? Try a different USB port of cable.

I may have lost all the data on it.
You're supposed to be doing backups!

Would partioning it mean there is less chance of that happening again?
No

#6 Calum

Calum

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2011 - 05:27 AM

Yes, I know I should be doing backups, but none were done because my cd/dvd writer is temporarily not working. Didn't think an external hard drive would fail within a month of buying it. I'm too reliant on hardware working properly.

Edited by Calum, 21 October 2011 - 05:27 AM.

#7 .X.

.X.

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2011 - 05:32 AM

Why use CDs/DVDs to do backups when you have an external? Use the external for backups then the stuff on the PC would be duplicated. Keep a copy of all important files on 2 separate physical disks. When one fails, you buy a new one one and copy the backed up data back into the newly purchased hard drive.

#8 Calum

Calum

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2011 - 06:01 AM

Majority of files are backed up on physical disks, but to add to the catalogue of problems, when I try to copy the files from the disks back onto my computer (they were all transferred from my computer onto the external hard drive: big mistake), I get the dreaded "cyclic redundancy check" message. This means that if anything happens to those disks, then I've lost that data. The cyclic redundancy check message only happens on one type of disk: the other type of disk copies perfectly. I have no idea why the fault only happens on that one type of disk. As far as I know, there is no fix if the cyclic redundancy check message happens when copying from disks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users