Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CPU Spikes....caused by Windows Update?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Rib

Rib

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:35 AM

Posted 20 October 2011 - 04:18 PM

Hi

Am after some help please to diagnose and resolve a CPU problem that I've encountered in the last few days on my laptop. I may be wrong but I'm pretty sure it has happened since a Windows Update installed as I remember a big registry update....like I say, may be wrong!

First - laptop details:

Dell Inspiron 1545
3Gb RAM
Pentium Dual Core CPU T4300 @ 2.10 Ghz
Windows 7 SP1

My physical memory is pretty stable at around 1.6 to 1.7 Gb but my CPU spikes are just haywire and latency on keyboard strokes is driving me nuts! Even running no programmes the CPU is betwen 26 and 100%...whilst I'm running IE then it's 95 to 100%.

The task manager graph is just a total zigzag.

Unfortunately, i don't think I have a restore point to go back to pre-Update so I don't think I have that easy route out.

Not sure where to go next....any advice much appreciated.

Thanks

Rich

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 LouisR47

LouisR47

• Members
  • 174 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 PM

Posted 20 October 2011 - 06:18 PM

Hello, Rib

If you are pretty sure that it is an update that you have recently installed, then you can uninstall it from Programs and Features in Control Panel and see if the problem goes away.

Start button

Control Panel

Programs

Programs and Features

view installed updates (left hand-pane)

select the update then click uninstall

If you know the date the problem update was installed, then you can scroll to the right of a selected update in Programs and Features and see when the update was installed.

#3 Rib

Rib
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2011 - 10:58 AM

Thanks for responding Louis - I think I've actually just stumbled on what the problem is!

I opened up McAfee Security Center and decided to turn off real-time scanning....bingo! Now I have much more typical CPU usage....so it must have been a McAfee rather than Windows Update I think. Guess I should drop McAfee a line to ask whether they've had any reported issues with this update level.

Will post back if they are able to confirm either way

Rich

#4 LouisR47

LouisR47

• Members
  • 174 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2011 - 12:28 PM

Have you tired turning off Windows Defender real-time monitoring? it could be conflicting with your McAfee.

Start button

Control Panel

System and Security

Administrative Tools

Double click Services

Locate Windows Defender Stop it, disable it, and restart computer.

#5 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2011 - 02:36 PM

Not trying to rank anyones software, but I do not know a single computer entusiast who uses or recommends McAfee. Always problems.

#6 Rib

Rib
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2011 - 12:10 PM

Thanks for the responses guys - liking the Halloween Avatars too!

Just to confirm that it WAS 100% down to a McAfee update - downloaded a further update and problem has now disappeared.

Louis - I haven't turned off Defender, would you recommend I do so if McAfee is running?

#7 LouisR47

LouisR47

• Members
  • 174 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2011 - 12:50 PM

Yes I would recommend turning off Windows Defender real-time monitoring, you never want more then one real-time monitoring anti-virus running at the same time. I always disable Windows Defender and install Microsoft Security Essentials.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users