Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Loss of My Pictures in Desktop properties

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Dragongirl

Dragongirl

• Members
  • 207 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:43 PM

Posted 20 October 2011 - 03:27 PM

Hi, me again after a long time of a very smooth running Working Computer thanks to the hard work and help from this forum! No longer is my laptop {or desktop} a BLEEPing Computer, they are both WORKING computers. now my laptop is just a confusing computer.... Please read on!

Well, I've once again run into something very strange, as of just now, first thought to come here before going to the microsoft forums for help; Basically, when wanting ot change my background for the desktop, I do the normal right click slection for properties, then the tab, desktop, and all my pictures would be in ther,e including the pictures in the My Pictures folder.

Now, as of five minutes ago, only the selcted Background image {which is a movie screenshot I took} is at the very bottom of the list, only problem is, the list of selectible backgrounds are the Windows supplied ones, and the only custom background currently in use is at the very bottom of the list. This is driving me crazy

Normally ALL my pictures in the My Pictures folder are in there, at the moment now I have to do the following....
  • right click-slect properties
  • select DESKTOP tab
  • click BROWSE button
  • Select picture as required
What I used to do before five minutes ago, was to just right click and go to desktop properties, and then just click on the tab for desktop and pick the picture, now I have to brose for it.

Why is this ? I recently defragged my hard drive, it was all over the place, will that have anything to do with it ?

The kitten that used to be linked to here in this signature now has her forever home!! Thank you for taking the time to read this signature!

"This is the coolest place I've ever been, and I've only been alive for three days!" ~ Figment

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:43 PM

Posted 21 October 2011 - 12:45 AM

Hi D/girl -
You can try - Start (on the right side menu where Control Panel is located) > Pictures or My pictures -
It may be there - Or maybe not -

Regards -

#3 Dragongirl

Dragongirl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 207 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2011 - 01:03 AM

I can still access the My Pictures folder in the My Documents folder just fine, it is just when trying to change the desktop background where it gets confusing and I have to browse, which drives me nuts, I am used ot the files being all in one place on there.

The kitten that used to be linked to here in this signature now has her forever home!! Thank you for taking the time to read this signature!

"This is the coolest place I've ever been, and I've only been alive for three days!" ~ Figment

#4 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2011 - 02:05 AM

• right click-slect properties
  • select DESKTOP tab
  • click BROWSE button
  • Select picture as required

You are right as I can still do it that way -
Someone else may have an option for you -

#5 Dragongirl

Dragongirl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 207 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2011 - 04:07 PM

I am unsure if it is because of the recent disk defragment I had done a few hours before the confusion started. Would that have anything to do with it ?

#6 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2011 - 05:16 PM

A simple defrag, with Windows Defrag should generally not cause this type of problem.
Do you seem to have Any other operating problems not related to this ? ?

Is the system operating Normally in all other ways that you can see ? ?

Update then run a scan with your Antivirus program, followed by an Antimalware program like Malwarebytes or SUPERAntiSpyware Free versions.
This is only a first check, but anything may have removed those pictures -

Regards -

#7 Dragongirl

Dragongirl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 207 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2011 - 06:14 PM

A simple defrag, with Windows Defrag should generally not cause this type of problem.
Do you seem to have Any other operating problems not related to this ? ?

Is the system operating Normally in all other ways that you can see ? ?

Update then run a scan with your Antivirus program, followed by an Antimalware program like Malwarebytes or SUPERAntiSpyware Free versions.
This is only a first check, but anything may have removed those pictures -

Regards -

Nope, no other problems, Ran both MSE{antivirus} and MBAM{antimal}, nothing wrong whatsoever, haven't restarted the system yet, Normally I restart my machine when I do a disk defrag through the windows defragger in system tools, if it is part of the newst updates I just did as well through micosoft updates, then possibly a new standard. IIRC Win Seven allows to just check on a picture and select SET AS BACKGROUND, so that might have something to do with it, I am considering getting a Seven machine at some point next year before Eight comes out. But I like this little Dell with Win XP Pro on it

#8 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2011 - 06:55 PM

http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/files/download/187-tfc-temp-file-cleaner-by-oldtimer/
Download TFC (Temp File Cleaner) by OldTimer from the above link and just remove all temp files (causes no problems like CCleaner and is safer)
Install it on your desktop, (looks like a black trash can), Close and save any other open apps > Double click on it and click Start.
It will halt all operations, disconnect from internet, and then run > You will see a Red line running across > At the end it will ask to Restart > Click OK >

There are other ways to remove Temp / Trash Files but this is quick and safe to run (I use it at the end of each day on XP or Win7) -
This just stops other "trash" from being in the way of your operations, and can lighten the load a bit.
It will not harm or change your MSE or MBAM, as these are the 2 main programs I also use.

#9 Dragongirl

Dragongirl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 207 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2011 - 11:18 AM

Let me see if I can get this straight, I ran autoupdates, but since I did it {a week ago, along with the defragger two days ago as of this posting} I have yet to restart my computer for the changes to take affect. I am unable to see where exactly temp files could be in the way of trying to set a desktop background.

#10 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:43 AM

Posted 24 October 2011 - 01:09 PM

Hello Dragongirl,

Checkout this link: http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows/change-default-wallpaper-folder-to-my-pictures-on-windows-xp/.

Hope it helps.

Regards,
Brooks

#11 Dragongirl

Dragongirl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 207 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2011 - 04:47 PM

And it did, Thank you allso much!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users