Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard disk drive shortage looming

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:13 AM

Posted 20 October 2011 - 09:54 AM

From Here: http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Thailand-flooding-could-apf-1540831818.html?x=0&sec=topStories&pos=6&asset=&ccode=

"The personal computer industry, already reeling from depressed demand, has been dealt another setback: Massive flooding in Thailand has curtailed production of a critical component -- computer storage drives.

Factories producing a third of the country's hard drives have temporarily closed as flooding has gradually spread since August. Prices have spiked, and Apple warned that its Mac products will likely be affected.

And this "Gartner Inc. analyst John Monroe called the disruptions "very serious and ongoing" and said they affect production of roughly half of the "spindle" motors that turn the hard disks, along with other technologies. Monroe expects slowdowns through March."
Computer manufacturers, the companies that supply hard drives and the makers of components for those drives are all bracing for troubles. What's not yet clear is what extent PC production lines will be affected and whether PC makers will absorb costs or pass them along to consumers.

Thailand makes about a quarter of the world's hard drives and is the second-largest producer behind China"

Reading the whole article Seagate and Western Digital warn of delays.

Edited by rotor123, 20 October 2011 - 12:14 PM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:13 AM

Posted 20 October 2011 - 12:25 PM

Strange...I recently bought (after checking carefully) a couple of new hard drives and the prices reflected at TD and Newegg were the lowest I've ever seen.

I tend to agree with what the Intel exec stated and I would not be surprised if system OEMs use such articles...as a means of justifying price increases. The OEMs seem to be doing the handwringing.

Louis

#3 rotor123

rotor123
  • Topic Starter

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2011 - 12:29 PM

I've bought hard drives recently on sale cheap too... however this article is date Wednesday Oct 19, 2011 so maybe the effects haven't trickled down yet.

I did see fewer 7200 RPM drives on sale at Newegg recently and more of a push for SSDs. May or may not be related.

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/

167 @ June 2015

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:13 AM

Posted 20 October 2011 - 04:04 PM

Don't know...but eventually they will have to do something to convince users that there really is a big advantage in paying much higher prices for SSDs with much smaller capacities :).

And the push is likely to start with system OEMs, rather than retailers.

Call me cynical :).

Louis

#5 rotor123

rotor123
  • Topic Starter

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2011 - 04:53 PM

Well I plunked for SSD boot drives for the speed not the size.

Big difference in Windows start-up and programs opening on my Laptops.

I decided my limited free time was worth saving time wherever I could.

167 @ June 2015

#6 rotor123

rotor123
  • Topic Starter

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2011 - 11:25 AM

Western Digital is saying
"In mid-October we temporarily suspended production at our two factories in Thailand, which have been inundated by floodwater, to protect our employees and our equipment and facilities. We manufacture approximately 60 percent of our hard drives in Thailand. With the greatest direct manufacturing exposure to the flooded areas, the impact on our business in the short term will be greater than to other HDD manufacturers.

In addition, many of our component suppliers have been impacted, leaving material for hard drive production considerably constrained."

There was more on the humanitarian end of it.

I have noticed that NewEgg emails with their special offers have only had specials on SSD drives lately. No Traditional drives including externals.

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users