Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer boots to black screen with mouse cursor

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 stantech

stantech

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:38 AM

Posted 20 October 2011 - 05:52 AM

I have a Dell Inspiron 530 with Vista that boots to a black screen with cursor in normal and safe modes. I disconnected all peripherals. I tried the recovery disk and it could not repair. I tried to run a restore and it said no restore points available. the video seems to work when booted to the system disk and safe mode with command prompt. would appreciate any help

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,630 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:38 PM

Posted 20 October 2011 - 07:57 AM

What is new or different since the last time everything worked properly (ie, new hw, new sw, virus, error, etc)?

#3 stantech

stantech
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:38 AM

Posted 20 October 2011 - 05:48 PM

Can't think of anything.

#4 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:38 AM

Posted 20 October 2011 - 09:02 PM

Can you boot to BIOS settings and check if your hard drive is detected? Look for loading default settings then save and exit.

Tekken

#5 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,630 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:38 PM

Posted 21 October 2011 - 06:49 AM

Boot to the Vista cd and try the startup repair options.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users