Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bleeping JAVA!

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Anonix

Anonix

• Members
  • 188 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:57 AM

Posted 20 October 2011 - 12:07 AM

I checked Windows "add/remove programs" and it tells me I only have JAVA 7 (w/update 1) installed on my computer. I then checked REVO Uninstaller, which showed a JAVA 6 with update 26, so I uninstalled that (yes, there were files to be removed), after which REVO showed I only have JAVA 7 (with 1 update) installed on my computer.

Then I did a 'search all files and folders' using keyword "J2SE", and this is what I got:

"J2SE Runtime Environment 5.0 Update 6" showed up in:
c:\documents and settings\administrator\local settings\application data\[3248f0a6-6813-11d6-a77b-00b0d015006o

Files similar to the above (also for version 5.0, update 6) were found for four other users ... all file names include "local settings\application data"...

the users are:
alternate
ME (my initials)

then a last file that looks like this:
system 32\config\systemprofile\local settings\application data\ (then lots more numbers)

Question: Do the above results mean that older versions of JAVA are actually still ON my computer? If so, can I just go to those folders and delete them? I have no idea how to do anything with a registry.

After this last update, I officially cannot stand JAVA. If they are going to issue all these critical security updates, which they do all the time, why can't they also figure out how to automatically remove older versions?? I am sure half the people who use computers don't even know having older versions of JAVA left on their computer is a serious security risk.

I am considering uninstalling ALL JAVA programs and files I find and starting over. Would that be just dumb? I am just very worried that after all this, I still have older JAVA files hidden away here and there that some Trojan could exploit (my anti-virus found two 'exploit' files and a trojan downloader a few days ago, which is what got me interested in checking for older versions of JAVA).

I don't have control over how and where JAVA files are stored. Seemingly every program uses it as I am finding all sorts of extra files (50+ files when I searched for the keyword "JRE"...a lot look to be related to older versions, not JAVA 7).

Please help! Should I try removing all JAVA and start over?

Edited by Anonix, 20 October 2011 - 01:56 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TulsaRose

TulsaRose

• Members
  • 367 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:57 AM

Posted 23 October 2011 - 06:32 AM

Have you read this post by Allan re: Java?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic424054.html

WinXP Pro sp3 \ Firefox, Panda, MBAM, SAS, SpywareBlaster

#3 Anonix

Anonix
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 188 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:57 AM

Posted 23 October 2011 - 11:41 AM

Have you read this post by Allan re: Java?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic424054.html

No, I have not, but certainly will. Thank you!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users