Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I ran Combofix and can't connect to the internet

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 jboynton

jboynton

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:41 AM

Posted 19 October 2011 - 10:43 PM

I have Compaq Pesario laptop with Windows XP. I downloaded and ran Combofix. When running Combofix it advised me that I had a virus rootkit of some kind. It finished running and I restarted my computer as it requested. From then on I've had a yellow triangle on my wireless connection. My computer sees the wireless signal but it won't communicate. I tried to repair the connection but it didn't help. I connected my ethernet connection and got the same yellow triangle for my lan connection. I tried Winsock reset, ipconfig /all /release /renew, uninstalling and reinstalling my wireless and lan hardware, finally I tried restarting my modem and router. When I attempted to repair my connection it failed to renew the IP address. My IP address starts with 169, which it shouldn't. I've read as much as I can about limited or no connectivity problems but I've had no success. My wife's computer connects to the wireless router just fine. I love some help. Thanks.

Joe

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 a_cup

a_cup

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:41 AM

Posted 19 October 2011 - 11:03 PM

Hi jboynton,

Apologies if you have already tried this...

Open IE..click tools>>internet options>>connections>>click the LAN setttings in the 'Local Area Network section>>uncheck 'Use a Proxy Server'>>click okay

Post back let us know !

Pauline

#3 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2011 - 11:29 PM

Hello and welcome to the forum!

I will not chide you with the canned DO NOT RUN COMBOFIX unless requested to do so speech but please dont!
That warning is there for a reason!

What is the make/model of the system?
In the beginning there was the command line.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,119 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2011 - 07:42 AM

<<My IP address starts with 169, which it shouldn't...>>

I would check the connection settings, ensuring that DHCP is elected and that no proxy server is established.

Right-click your existing connection, click Properties.

Place cursor on TCP/IP and then click Properties button below that screen.

Elect "Obtain IP address automatically" and "Obtain DNS automatically".

Click series of OK options to close screen.

See Configure Your Computer to use DHCP section at http://www.petri.co.il/configure_tcp_ip_to_use_dhcp_and_a_static_ip_address_at_the_same_time.htm if my directions aren't clear.

Louis

#5 jboynton

jboynton
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2011 - 08:59 AM

Thank you everyone for your responses.

I followed Pauline's steps and discovered the Use Proxy Setting was already unchecked. My computer is a Compaq Presario but I don't know the model. I went through all of the DCHP steps listed and the requested selections were already selected. Also, my Firewall will not start from either the lower right hand tray or from the control panel. Thank you.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,119 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2011 - 12:22 PM

I suggest that you initiate a post in the Malware Removal Logs forum.

Follow the suggestions in Preparation Guide, Before Using Malware Removal Tools and Requesting Help - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic34773.html and be sure to post the logs in the forum which the guide directs you to post in.

Louis

#7 jboynton

jboynton
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2011 - 01:23 PM

Hamluis,
I took your advise and went to the guides you suggested. I figured out that I was the cause of my problems because I tried to manually remove Key Registries and probably removed one too many. I preformed a system restore and I can now access the internet. Also, Combofix did fix my problem with the redirect and Cloud Protection Virus but I ruined my internet connection. Thanks for all your help.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,119 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2011 - 04:22 PM

Glad you got it sorted, thanks for the feedback...happy computing :).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users