Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can a hard drive have 2 file formats?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Callise

Callise

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:41 AM

Posted 19 October 2011 - 08:29 PM

I've been searching for this on Goolge but all I can find is "Format a hard drive from FAT32 to NFTS" or :How to partition a hard drive"

I have a 1TB external hard drive. What I want to to is create a partition on my external hard drive formated to NFTS (~200GB) and have the rest of the hard drive formated to FAT32(~800GB). Is this possible?

Thanks! :thumbsup:

Edited by Callise, 19 October 2011 - 08:32 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:41 AM

Posted 19 October 2011 - 08:43 PM

The FAT32 filesystem has an upper limit of around 32GB for a single partition (unless you use a third-party formatting tool,) and is comparatively slow and prone to fragmentation when compared to NTFS. Indeed, Microsoft has noted that very large FAT32 volumes (greater than 32GB) there is a dramatic decrease in performance. You must realize that FAT32 was developed during a time where 10GB hard drives were expensive and rare.

Unless you absolutely need FAT32 for a very specific reason, you should go with NTFS exclusively.

#3 Callise

Callise
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2011 - 08:48 PM

I'll come clean, it's my girlfriends HD and she owns a Mac, so if I format the whole thing to NFTS then she can't write to it (I know there are programes that can do it but she has about as much knowledge about computers as I do about shoes)

I knew that FAT32 was an old system but didn't know about the over 32GB issue. Thing is, it's in FAT32 already so could I just create a partition on it that's NFTS?

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,130 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2011 - 04:30 PM

Converting FAT32 to NTFS in Windows XP - http://www.aumha.org/win5/a/ntfscvt.php

If XP is not your O/S, then similar documents can be found for your O/S, using Google.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users