Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Explorer/Taskbar Settings Will Not Save

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Mojinko

Mojinko

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:16 PM

Posted 19 October 2011 - 08:19 PM

My computer blue screened with an IRQL Driver not less or equal error, it's the second time its happened over a few weeks.
Upon rebooting, my computer went into "preparing your desktop" and failed, and made a temporary profile. I system restored to get back
to my original settings.

Now, my taskbar is empty for quick launch, and changing settings in the file explorer does not save anything.
Additionally, all my system fonts seem to be different, they don't look smooth any more. No setting changes I attempt in explorer save at all.

I found a guide about changing some settings under HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Explorer/ (some folder) but the only folder that exists there is SessionInfo.
So I'm assuming something killed part of my registry between the crash and restoration, but I don't think manually recreating folders and files when I'm not sure what I'm doing is the best plan. Does anyone have some insight on this?

http://img411.imageshack.us/img411/7917/unledqv.png
Picture of the prime issue, if it wasn't clear.

Edited by Mojinko, 19 October 2011 - 08:24 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 a_cup

a_cup

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:16 PM

Posted 19 October 2011 - 08:55 PM

Hi Mojinko,

The error you are getting is usually due to a driver. Check device manager and look for any yellow exclamation or red x's...particularly the video drivers...click start>>right click on 'computer'..select 'Manage'>>Device Manager

Check your manufacturer site for any updates also.

Check event viewer and look for errors. There will be a source that may help narrow down which driver is giving you problems

Post back let us know

Pauline

#3 Mojinko

Mojinko
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:16 PM

Posted 19 October 2011 - 09:03 PM

I don't see any exclamations or x's in device manager, but there are 40 NTFS errors and 39 bonjour service errors in my event viewer in the last 24 hours.. Along with a couple different "User Profile Service" titled errors, 5 of the same name, each with 3,3,3,3,8 errors respectively.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users