Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop keyboard not working

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Passion4Muzik

Passion4Muzik

• Members
  • 152 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:31 PM

Posted 19 October 2011 - 07:23 PM

I had a weird .exe file running in processes after using google and I couldn't end it. My computer was slow and it seemed like another google direct virus. I tried running virus scanners, but they would shut down or wouldn't open. I came here as I've before and saw a topic with the same problem and ran combofix, but lost internet connection while doing so. My screen was frozen when my connection came back. I had to shut down. I tried to run it a couple more times but it froze. After a few reboots to safe and regular modes, trying to run virus scanners, I noticed my keyboard doesn't respond.

I managed to reinstall and run a virus scanner that removed viruses, but keyboard still doesn't work.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Passion4Muzik

Passion4Muzik
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 152 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2011 - 01:09 PM

:whistle:

#3 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:31 PM

Posted 21 October 2011 - 07:56 PM

Hello and welcome to Bleeping Computer.

First off, I am going to add links to other current opened topics you have opened here at Bleeping Computer so that any one that helps you in this topic is aware of the other topics.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic424016.html

And

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic424229.html

Keyboards are hardware related and often drivers can be altered or deleted by combofix if they are determined to be infected.

You may want to try running RKill to see if this will allow your anti-virus programs to run without being terminated.

Please download RKill by Grinler

Link #1
Link #2
Link #3
Link #4

• Important! disable any real-time monitoring anti-malware software that you have installed so that it does not interfere with RKill running, as some anti-malware software detect RKill as malicious. Please refer to this page if you are not sure how.
  • Download Link #1 and save it to your Desktop.
  • Double-click the RKill desktop icon. (If you are using Vista please right-click and choose "Run as Administrator".)
  • A black screen will briefly flash indicating a successful run.
  • If this does not occur please delete that application and download Link #2.
  • Repeat the process until one of the tool versions runs successfully. (If the tool does not run successfully from any of the links, tell me about it.)
  • This will temporarily shut-down the malware, hopefully long enough to allow the next tool to run successfully.

I'd like us to scan your machine with ESET OnlineScan
  • Hold down Control and click on this link to open ESET OnlineScan in a new window.
  • Click the Posted Image button.
  • For alternate browsers only: (Microsoft Internet Explorer users can skip these steps)
    • Click on esetsmartinstaller_enu.exe to download the ESET Smart Installer. Save it to your desktop.
    • Double click on the Posted Image
      icon on your desktop.
  • Check "YES, I accept the Terms of Use."
  • Click the Start button.
  • Accept any security warnings from your browser.
  • Under scan settings, check "Scan Archives" and "Remove found threats"
  • Click Advanced settings and select the following:
    • Scan potentially unwanted applications
    • Scan for potentially unsafe applications
    • Enable Anti-Stealth technology
  • ESET will then download updates for itself, install itself, and begin scanning your computer. Please be patient as this can take some time.
  • When the scan completes, click List Threats
  • Click Export, and save the file to your desktop using a unique name, such as ESETScan. Include the contents of this report in your next reply.
  • Click the Back button.
  • Click the Finish button.

What is the make and model number of your laptop?

Perhaps we can get the proper communications driver for the keyboard back where it belongs and get you back in business again.

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#4 Passion4Muzik

Passion4Muzik
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 152 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2011 - 11:32 PM

Havent scanned yet, but laptop is ibm thinkpad 1842 slu

#5 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2011 - 01:17 AM

Your system is listed as the following:

ThinkPad R50e (1842-SLU)
Celeron M 360(1.4GHz), 256MB RAM, 40GB 4200rpm HD, 15in 1024x768 LCD, Intel Extreme, CDRW/DVD, Intel 802.11bg wireless, Modem, 10/100 Ethernet, 6c Li-Ion batt, WinXP Home

The main web site for your laptop: http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/default.page? There are 6 pages for your laptops identification process I gave you the answer below to each question.

Your laptop is part of the R series, you will only find support for it under that letter, then choose the thinkpad R50e, the machine type is 1842, SLU is the model, XP Professional is your operating system.

I did all the work for you and I am providing a direct link to your laptops drivers download page here:

http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/research/hints-or-tips/detail.page?DocID=HT050904

Troubleshooting keyboard issues - ThinkPad

http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/diagnose-and-fix/diagnose-by-symptom/detail.page?&LegacyDocID=MIGR-4YQKLQ

Also Diagnose and Fix

http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/diagnose-and-fix/default.page?

I'll be waiting for the results of your virus scan, it could take quite some time on large hard drive before it finishes.

Bruce.

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#6 Passion4Muzik

Passion4Muzik
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 152 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2011 - 02:22 AM

C:\Documents and Settings\LocalService\Application Data\Sun\Java\Deployment\cache\6.0\14\5b44c78e-46e84675 Java/TrojanDownloader.OpenStream.NCA trojan deleted - quarantined
C:\Documents and Settings\Muzik\Application Data\Sun\Java\Deployment\cache\6.0\1\2526d401-7c5e6320 multiple threats deleted - quarantined
C:\Documents and Settings\Muzik\Application Data\Sun\Java\Deployment\cache\6.0\15\2478564f-61d18de1 Java/TrojanDownloader.Agent.NBU trojan deleted - quarantined
C:\Documents and Settings\Muzik\Application Data\Sun\Java\Deployment\cache\6.0\2\262bb4c2-1d46714f Java/TrojanDownloader.OpenStream.NCM trojan cleaned by deleting - quarantined
C:\Documents and Settings\Muzik\Application Data\Sun\Java\Deployment\cache\6.0\30\4cf1b7de-37408690 multiple threats deleted - quarantined
C:\Documents and Settings\Muzik\Application Data\Sun\Java\Deployment\cache\6.0\42\6ede5eaa-579069e0 multiple threats deleted - quarantined
C:\Documents and Settings\Muzik\Application Data\Sun\Java\Deployment\cache\6.0\56\27b2f478-1776ada2 a variant of Win32/Kryptik.SOF trojan cleaned by deleting - quarantined
C:\Documents and Settings\Muzik\Application Data\Sun\Java\Deployment\cache\6.0\56\29f098b8-47f0593e multiple threats deleted - quarantined
C:\Documents and Settings\NetworkService\Application Data\Sun\Java\Deployment\cache\6.0\4\7c502e04-400c96e2 multiple threats deleted - quarantined
C:\Documents and Settings\NetworkService\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\A5UDRQ9R\jquery[1].js JS/Kryptik.AL trojan cleaned by deleting - quarantined
C:\Documents and Settings\NetworkService\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\MYELI65F\QQkFBg0NBgYDDAABEkcJBQcEBw0CAQQGDQ==[1].htm JS/Exploit.Agent.NCQ trojan cleaned by deleting - quarantined
C:\Program Files\Canon\CAL\CALMAIN.exe Win32/Patched.HN trojan error while cleaning
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Security Center\SymWSC.exe Win32/Patched.HN trojan error while cleaning
C:\Program Files\Google\Update\GoogleUpdate.exe Win32/Patched.HN trojan cleaned - quarantined
C:\Program Files\IBM\IBM Rapid Restore Ultra\rrpcsb.exe Win32/Patched.HN trojan error while cleaning
C:\Program Files\ThinkPad\ConnectUtilities\QCTRAY.EXE Win32/Patched.HN trojan cleaned - quarantined
C:\Program Files\Viewpoint\Common\ViewpointService.exe Win32/Patched.HN trojan error while cleaning
C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\SoftwareUpdate\YahooAUService.exe Win32/Patched.HN trojan error while cleaning
C:\Qoobox\Quarantine\C\WINDOWS\assembly\GAC_MSIL\desktop.ini.vir a variant of Win32/Sirefef.CH trojan cleaned by deleting - quarantined
C:\Qoobox\Quarantine\C\WINDOWS\system32\Drivers\i8042prt.sys.vir a variant of Win32/Rootkit.Kryptik.DM trojan cleaned by deleting - quarantined
C:\System Volume Information\_restore{C49BD92C-9C3F-4BDD-866F-EAF535330B6C}\RP2\A0002093.sys a variant of Win32/Rootkit.Kryptik.DM trojan cleaned by deleting - quarantined
C:\System Volume Information\_restore{C49BD92C-9C3F-4BDD-866F-EAF535330B6C}\RP21\A0005803.exe Win32/Patched.HN trojan cleaned - quarantined
C:\System Volume Information\_restore{C49BD92C-9C3F-4BDD-866F-EAF535330B6C}\RP21\A0005804.EXE Win32/Patched.HN trojan cleaned - quarantined
C:\WINDOWS\ajeqinic.dll Win32/Adware.SpywareProtect2009 application cleaned by deleting - quarantined
C:\WINDOWS\aluferocohuvilit.dll Win32/Adware.SpywareProtect2009 application cleaned by deleting - quarantined
C:\WINDOWS\iredaribiyixev.dll Win32/Adware.SpywareProtect2009 application cleaned by deleting - quarantined
C:\WINDOWS\uyawizuter.dll Win32/Adware.SpywareProtect2009 application cleaned by deleting - quarantined
C:\WINDOWS\system32\c_17573.nl_ a variant of Win32/Sirefef.CR trojan cleaned by deleting - quarantined
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ibmpmsvc.exe Win32/Patched.HN trojan error while cleaning
C:\WINDOWS\system32\kkQYFfhk.ini Win32/Adware.Virtumonde.NEO application cleaned by deleting - quarantined
C:\WINDOWS\system32\kkQYFfhk.ini2 Win32/Adware.Virtumonde.NEO application cleaned by deleting - quarantined
C:\WINDOWS\system32\QCONSVC.EXE Win32/Patched.HN trojan error while cleaning
C:\WINDOWS\system32\RegSrvc.exe Win32/Patched.HN trojan error while cleaning
C:\WINDOWS\system32\S24EvMon.exe Win32/Patched.HN trojan error while cleaning
C:\WINDOWS\system32\TpKmpSvc.exe Win32/Patched.HN trojan error while cleaning
C:\WINDOWS\system32\yaoooxtn.ini Win32/Adware.Virtumonde.NEO application cleaned by deleting - quarantined
Operating memory Win32/Patched.HN trojan

#7 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2011 - 03:25 AM

It appears we cleaned quite a bit of bad stuff off your computer.

I wish to have you run another scan so we can be sure your system is cleaned.

Please follow the instructions below.

Please download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and save it to your desktop.
  • Important!! When you save the mbam-setup file, rename it to something random (such as 123abc.exe) before beginning the download.
Malwarebytes may "make changes to your registry" as part of its disinfection routine. If using other security programs that detect registry changes (ie Spybot's Teatimer), they may interfere or alert you. Temporarily disable such programs or permit them to allow the changes.

• Make sure you are connected to the Internet and double-click on the renamed file to install the application.
    For instructions with screenshots, please refer to this Guide.
  • When the installation begins, follow the prompts and do not make any changes to default settings.
  • Malwarebytes will automatically start and you will be asked to update the program before performing a scan.
  • If an update is found, the program will automatically update itself. Press the OK button and continue.
  • If you encounter any problems while downloading the definition updates, manually download them from here and just double-click on mbam-rules.exe to install.
  • Under the Scanner tab, make sure the "Perform Quick Scan" option is selected.
  • Click on the Scan button.
  • When finished, a message box will say "The scan completed successfully. Click 'Show Results' to display all objects found".
  • Click OK to close the message box, then click the Show Results button to see a list of any malware that was found.
  • Make sure that everything is checked and then click Remove Selected.
  • When removal is completed, a log report will open in Notepad.
  • The log is automatically saved and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab.
  • Copy and paste the contents of that report in your next reply. Be sure to post the complete log to include the top portion which shows the database version and your operating system.
  • Exit Malwarebytes when done.
Note: If Malwarebytes encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you will be asked to reboot your computer so it can proceed with the disinfection process. If asked to restart the computer, please do so immediately. Failure to reboot normally will prevent Malwarebytes from removing all the malware.

I will watch for your next reply.

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 22 October 2011 - 03:26 AM.

#8 Passion4Muzik

Passion4Muzik
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 152 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2011 - 09:16 AM

I couldn't figure out what to do with he drivers. The diagnose and fix wasn't helpful.

The log:

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.51.2.1300
www.malwarebytes.org

Database version: 7999

Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3
Internet Explorer 8.0.6001.18702

10/22/2011 9:11:53 AM
mbam-log-2011-10-22 (09-11-52).txt

Scan type: Quick scan
Objects scanned: 241516
Time elapsed: 38 minute(s), 3 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 0
Registry Values Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 0

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:

#9 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2011 - 04:04 PM

Hello, that last scan appears to show no signs of an infection.

Now you should Create a New Restore Point to prevent possible reinfection from an old one. Some of the malware you picked up could have been backed up, renamed and saved in System Restore. Since this is a protected directory your tools cannot access to delete these files, they sometimes can reinfect your system if you accidentally use an old restore point. Setting a new restore point AFTER cleaning your system will help prevent this and enable your computer to "roll-back" to a clean working state.

The easiest and safest way to do this is:
  • Go to Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools and click "System Restore".
  • Choose the radio button marked "Create a Restore Point" on the first screen then click "Next". Give the R.P. a name, then click "Create". The new point will be stamped with the current date and time. Keep a log of this so you can find it easily should you need to use System Restore.
  • Then use Disk Cleanup to remove all but the most recently created Restore Point.
  • Go to Start > Run and type: Cleanmgr
  • Click "Ok". Disk Cleanup will scan your files for several minutes, then open.
  • Click the "More Options" tab, then click the "Clean up" button under System Restore.
  • Click Ok. You will be prompted with "Are you sure you want to delete all but the most recent restore point?"
  • Click Yes, then click Ok.
  • Click Yes again when prompted with "Are you sure you want to perform these actions?"
  • Disk Cleanup will remove the files and close automatically.
Vista and Windows 7 users can refer to these links: Create a New Restore Point in Vista or Windows 7 and Disk Cleanup in Vista.

Here are some other things you can do to make your computer more secure.

:step2: Make your Internet Explorer more secure - This can be done by following these simple instructions:
  • From within Internet Explorer click on the Tools menu and then click on Options.
  • Click once on the Security tab
  • Click once on the Internet icon so it becomes highlighted.
  • Click once on the Custom Level button.
    • Change the Download signed ActiveX controls to Prompt
    • Change the Download unsigned ActiveX controls to Disable
    • Change the Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe to Disable
    • Change the Installation of desktop items to Prompt
    • Change the Launching programs and files in an IFRAME to Prompt
    • Change the Navigate sub-frames across different domains to Prompt
    • When all these settings have been made, click on the OK button.
    • If it prompts you as to whether or not you want to save the settings, press the Yes button.
  • Next press the Apply button and then the OK to exit the Internet Properties page.

:step3: Use an AntiVirus Software - It is very important that your computer has an anti-virus software running on your machine. This alone can save you a lot of trouble with malware in the future.

See this link for a listing of some online & their stand-alone antivirus programs:

Virus, Spyware, and Malware Protection and Removal Resources

:step4: Update your AntiVirus Software - It is imperitive that you update your Antivirus software at least once a week (Even more if you wish). If you do not update your antivirus software then it will not be able to catch any of the new variants that may come out.

I also recommend Microsoft Security Essentials
You can download this free product from the following link: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/security_essentials/default.aspx
Simply click on the orange "download it free today" button and install the program.

:step5: Use a Firewall - I can not stress how important it is that you use a Firewall on your computer. Without a firewall your computer is succeptible to being hacked and taken over. I am very serious about this and see it happen almost every day with my clients. Simply using a Firewall in its default configuration can lower your risk greatly.

For a tutorial on Firewalls and a listing of some available ones see the link below:

Understanding and Using Firewalls

:step6: Visit Microsoft's Windows Update Site Frequently - It is important that you visit http://www.windowsupdate.com regularly. This will ensure your computer has always the latest security updates available installed on your computer. If there are new updates to install, install them immediately, reboot your computer, and revisit the site until there are no more critical updates.

:step7: Install Spybot - Search and Destroy - Install and download Spybot - Search and Destroy with its TeaTimer option. This will provide realtime spyware & hijacker protection on your computer alongside your virus protection. You should also scan your computer with program on a regular basis just as you would an antivirus software.

A tutorial on installing & using this product can be found here:

Using Spybot - Search & Destroy to remove Spyware , Malware, and Hijackers

:step8: Install Ad-Aware - Install and download Ad-Aware. you should also scan your computer with program on a regular basis just as you would an antivirus software in conjunction with Spybot.

Using Ad-aware to remove Spyware, Malware, & Hijackers from Your Computer

:step9: Install SpywareBlaster - SpywareBlaster will added a large list of programs and sites into your Internet Explorer settings that will protect you from running and downloading known malicious programs.

Using SpywareBlaster to protect your computer from Spyware and Malware

:step10: Update all these programs regularly - Make sure you update all the programs I have listed regularly. Without regular updates you WILL NOT be protected when new malicious programs are released.
[/LIST]Follow this list and your potential for being infected again will reduce dramatically. [list]

Please make sure you download the latest drivers from the lenovo web site

You can find those at this web site: http://www.lenovo.com/us/en/

Also I see that you have Viewpoint installed, this is an unnecessary program and often installs with another program such as AOL software.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viewpoint_Media_Player

If you choose to remove this program, you can go to control panel, then add or remove programs, then select ViewPoint media player and un-install it.

Please try not to download any programs from none trusted web sites.

Stay clear of any file sharing web sites, those are not only full of stolen software, most contain hidden back door programs and Trojans.

Now that we covered safe browsing habits, have you been able to get the keyboard keys to function again?

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 22 October 2011 - 06:22 PM.

#10 Passion4Muzik

Passion4Muzik
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 152 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2011 - 06:52 PM

Exactly which drivers do I need to download and how do I download them?

#11 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2011 - 07:36 PM

To make the whole process easier for you, please go to this URL: http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/research/hints-or-tips/detail.page?DocID=HT050904

To the left of the screen it says SUPPORT.

Look under this area for Download drivers & software

A window will appear on your screen with 3 options to choose from.

Option number 2 is Run Auto-Detect choose that option.

Click Run Auto-Detect

You may see a notice in your browser stating: This web site wants to install the following Add-On: Lenovo Auto-Detect.cab right click that bar and choose install this add-on for all users.

This feature will direct you to your download area that is specifiic to your current laptop model.

Do not download or install any BIOS updates!! Leave those to an experienced person only that knows what they are and what the risks are with using those files.

Those files are used to re-program your laptop motherboards BIOS chip, it is a chip that tells your operating system what hardware is installed, if it is re-programed incorrectly, it can cause your laptop to fail to boot up.

I need to ask you once again, does your keyboard work now or is it still not responding to key strokes?

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 22 October 2011 - 07:37 PM.

#12 Passion4Muzik

Passion4Muzik
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 152 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2011 - 09:50 PM

I never had a driver issue before. Everything else you posted was detailed. There is a page full of downloads. Should I just download everything under keyboard? No, my keyboard still isn't working.

#13 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2011 - 10:01 PM

Please hang in there, I am going to stay live with you until we get this keyboard working again.

Please refresh this page often so you see my next reply. :busy:

Bruce.

#14 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2011 - 10:40 PM

What I would like you to do is GO to CONTROL PANEL.

Look for SYSTEM and double click it.

Look for the HARDWARE tab and click it.

Look for DEVICE MANAGER and click that button.

In device manager look for HID (human interface devices) and let me know if there are any exclamation marks or red X's

Check Keyboard and tell me if there is an entry for KEYBOARD and if there is any exclamation marks or red X's or notices about device not starting and a possible code reason for why it isn't starting or working.

Bruce.

#15 Passion4Muzik

Passion4Muzik
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 152 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2011 - 11:08 PM

Yes, yellow exclamation mark for keyboard and another for trackpoint. I'm using plug in mouse (which I've always done)

Standard 101/102-key or microsoft natural ps/2

device status

windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. the driver may be corrupted or missing. (code 39)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users