Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My computer wont turn on. Do I need a new PSU?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Paws Up

Paws Up

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:55 AM

Posted 19 October 2011 - 03:53 PM

My sister's Dell computer broke. Shes used to never turning off the computer (She likes to be able to jump right on). Well her computer doesn't turn on anymore. Im thinking its a problem with the PSU as I tried a lamp on the same plug and it works fine. At first the flea light wasn't on. I would hold the power button and it would come on for a second but then turn off. The fan would also move for a second but then turn off.

I since opened the case and removed the memory module (Nanya) upon instruction from someone else and then pressed the power button. The flea light comes on only if you hold the button and the fan whirs for a second, then stops. Except the flea light, unlike before, stays on this time, as long as i dont press the power button again. I have no idea what happened. It seems removing the memory module and then reinserting it fixed it so the flea light would be able to remain on. The computer, however, still fails to turn on.

It runs on Vista and is a Dell Studio Desktop 540. No hardware has been added to the original configuration. From looking inside, I was able to find out that the PSU is a Bestec ATX0350D5WA and Motherboard is a IPIEL-RN2 and the RAM consists of two long blue cards, each being a Nanya NT2GT64U8HD0BY-AD.

Do I need to replace the PSU or is it some other problem? I was told its likely a PSU problem, especially given the fact that Bestec makes terrible PSUs.

Keep in mind i dont know much about computers. This was the first time i've even looked inside the case of one.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,416 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:55 AM

Posted 20 October 2011 - 07:21 AM

I would (temporarily) try a known-good PSU from another system or a apare if you have one. That should further define things.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users