Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Very slow working computer.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 taxi.driver09

taxi.driver09

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:09 PM

Posted 19 October 2011 - 03:16 PM

With in the last 2 months, my computer has gone from decent to I WANT TO TAKE IT THE THE SHOOTING RANGE FOR PRACTICE!
I've read the forum post about slow computers and have tried different things but i'm not real keen on tech stuff.
Compaq presario sr2011wm, windows xp media center ed, ver 2002 sp3 celeron d cpu 3.20ghz 448mb ram. security essentials and bit defender extension in google chrome. Every week scans- security essentials, defrag, disk cleanup. What am i doing wrong or is there anything else i can do? :unsure: :killcomp: :smash:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,530 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2011 - 03:44 PM

Hello, have a look thru this ... Slow Computer/browser? Check Here First; It May Not Be Malware
If still slow we can check for malware,
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 taxi.driver09

taxi.driver09
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2011 - 01:42 PM

I'm not sure what's causing the problem. I've read thru it and don't understand most of it or not knowledgeable to try it. It started acting up about 2 months ago, and it's slowly gotten worse to the point that it takes windows awhile to load. Let's not even discuss getting around the internet with google chrome (mostly facebook, youtube) because flash player will constantly crash (now not giving me the option to end the the extension, it just crahes now.)
I've cleaned the case, defrg'ed, uninstalled every program i don't use, moved everything that is sound, pic, videos (that doesn't belong to windows program) to an external hard drive to free up space on the hard drive. I'm lost. I have a little bit of general knowledge of computers. :unsure:

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,384 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:09 PM

Posted 21 October 2011 - 02:30 PM

Please...take the time to go through the3 excellent post/guidance provided to you in the link he posted.

It's all pretty straightforward, logical and you can always use Google if you come across an abbreviation, term, etc. that you don't comprehend.

The only magic pill that I know of for curing "system problems" is...a new computer or a clean install. We are willing to try other things before suggesting either of those two options...and you have to be willing to invest time/energy...provide details that might further help define the problem...and so on.

The only thing I get out your initial post...is that you think you have had computer problems for 2 months before deciding to seek some assistance.

Have you ever looked at the HP support page for your system? They may have some feedback that would be useful.

I would consdier the system you listed rather old by computer standards...which may or may not be meaningful when trying to determine what is wrong. I also see that you have the minimum MS-recommended RAM...which is not good for any working system, since MS tends to understate the basic requirements.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users