Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Puppy Linux

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Hiro1

Hiro1

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:43 PM

Posted 27 January 2006 - 02:27 AM

Okay, So I've been wanting to try puppy linux since acklan sugested it for my crappy slow computer. But I've tried to do it how the site says, but the site assumes I know what it's talking about. I made a bootible disk with nero, then put in in my computer and restarted it, but it just went to win98. So, please dumb this one down for me. I really need to do this or I'll just be freaking out untill it gets figured out! Thanks.

MOD: Moved to the linux forum. ~acklan~

Edited by acklan, 27 January 2006 - 09:16 AM.

Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:43 PM

Posted 27 January 2006 - 09:14 AM

When your computer starts t will prompt you to enter setup (Press F2, F10, or Ctrl+Alt+Enter). Follow the prompt. Once in setup place you CD as the boot drive. This will allow Linux to boot from the CD before windows starts. If no CD is in the Drive the hard drive will then boot and start windows.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 Hiro1

Hiro1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:43 PM

Posted 27 January 2006 - 02:51 PM

awsome! Tx!
Posted Image

#4 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:43 PM

Posted 30 January 2006 - 11:15 PM

Acklan, I've got an old Acer computer that uses ctrl+alt+esc. Just for your files . . .

#5 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2006 - 11:54 PM

Herk. Thanks brother.

Hiro1. Did it work?

#6 TedOb1

TedOb1

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:43 PM

Posted 10 February 2006 - 04:58 PM

just noticed the date of this thread but maybe someone will find some use for it.

this might be the problem:

I made a bootible disk with nero

Nero does give you the option to make a bootable data disk but that isn't what you want.

if your using nero express under "what would you like to burn?" go down to "Disk Image or Saved Project" under the drop down "Files of Type;" select "Image Files: *.iso", navigate to where you have the puppy iso and burn the image to the cd. there is no need to make the cd bootable for the image will boot.

ISO is an archive that contains the the files as they appeared on the file system they've been copied from. An image. (byte for byte) if you use an iso to burn these files to the cd you'll have the file system as it originally appeared, including the boot sector. is you place the iso on the cd you'll have only a copy of an iso on cd

if im completely off track...oops! sorry!

Edited by TedOb1, 10 February 2006 - 05:10 PM.

#7 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2006 - 05:41 PM

All opinions are welcome... even late one. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users