Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 vs Window 7 Pro

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 SFB

SFB

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:18 PM

Posted 19 October 2011 - 11:54 AM

I am about to buy a new desktop and notice that most of them now come with Windows 7 Home Premium. I was wondering if it's possible to load Windows 7 Pro? My CD of 7 pro is 32 bit version. Will it be compatible with a 64 bit machine?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2011 - 12:24 PM

It is possible to load win7 pro.
However you'll be unable to use memory over approx 3Gb total.
You may find that tech support if called may not help you with the Windows you install. simply because they are not required to support any windows but the one they sold with the machine. Note that OEM versions such as are installed on a new machine must get support from the computer vendor not Microsoft. Retail versions get support from Microsoft.

You will need to get all the proper drivers from the manufacturers website. Some brands such as Sony or Toshiba require things in the proper order to work properly.

Any bundled software will need to be bought somewhere.

There is no huge difference for the typical home user between Home Premium and Pro versions beyond the fact that Pro sounds more impressive and costs more. If you need the added features in Pro than that is a different thing. I run 64 bit Windows 7 and so far I haven't had any of my old software refuse to run. A couple of things I had to change a option in the program one time and then done.

These seem to be the big differences between them from here. http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/products/compare
This one gets into more details. http://www.neowin.net/news/main/09/04/30/windows-7-whats-the-difference-between-the-editions

1. Run many Windows XP business programs in Windows XP Mode (separate download). [attachment=109591:win72_(Medium).PNG]
2. Connect to company networks easily and more securely with Domain Join
3. In addition to full-system Backup and Restore found in all editions, you can back up to a home or business network.

Edited by rotor123, 19 October 2011 - 12:32 PM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 SFB

SFB
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2011 - 02:07 PM

rotor> This is great info! You just helped me make the decision on my new computer buy. I have a free legit copy of Pro because of my student status. But instead of hassling with jumping thru hoops on that and drivers, I'll just spend a couple more bucks and get a machine already loaded with Pro. I have a bunch of XP software that I can use with the XP Mode. That alone will off set the price difference.

Thank you so much for your help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users