Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need Advise on new Desktop

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 SFB

SFB

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:27 PM

Posted 19 October 2011 - 11:47 AM

My desktop died. It won't send a signal to the monitor and I can't get it to even boot in Safe Mode. I am going to replace it and was reading some of this forum site's info. I'd like some comments on what I have come up with.

I probably only need a $300-400 machine since the most complicaed thing I do is design a website with FrontPage every once in awhile (yeah, I know FP is outdated). I doubt that I need anything faster than an i3 chip, if even that. I've looked at the specs on the following machines and they seem to provide what I need.

Acer AG 3610, Acer Inspirion AM 3970, Acer Veriton, Dell 560 887NBK. I am not a fan of HP.

One problem with getting a new machine is I don't think many have a 9 pin connector on the back panel. My wife needs that to connect her sewing machine to in order to download embrodiery patterns to it.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 heavydude

heavydude

• Members
  • 234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:27 AM

Posted 27 October 2011 - 07:46 PM

Visit Best Buy and look at the backs of their display models.

If there is no 9 pin connector, there's probably room to install one and they'd probably do it for $50 or so when you buy the computer.

#3 Blaze413

Blaze413

• Members
  • 330 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:27 PM

Posted 29 October 2011 - 07:41 AM

http://advanced.m.nextag.com/9-pin-serial-to-usb-adapter/zzamzB1z0--search-html

You could just get a USB to 9-pin comverter for cheap as an easier solution

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users