Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hidden Hard Drive

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 lurpin

lurpin

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:39 AM

Posted 27 January 2006 - 01:52 AM

This is a good one.
I have 2 Hard Drives in my computer and I just reformatted the Master and when it started after XP booted up, The slave hard drive does not appear, it shows connected in the Device Manager but no drive letter was assigned. When I check it in Disk Management it shows as Dynamic and unreadable< I went to change it to basic but a warning came up saying the all data would be lost.
Any ideas how I can save this, I have done the same thing in the past and it all ways booted up with a drive letter and all my files.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:39 AM

Posted 27 January 2006 - 06:25 PM

I had the identical story with my system about 6 months ago. The slave drive (which housed 3 years of data) now sits on my desk as a paperweight.

What happened in my case was that I didn't unplug the system from the wall - and static destroyed the PCB on the slave drive. Recovery will cost $600 to $1800 (this was 6 months ago). Another option is to cannabalize the PCB from another, identical drive and use it on the fried one.

In case this is not the same situation, you can try this free file recovery tool: http://www.pcinspector.de? It's a very good program and has recovered other data for me.

Another nice recovery program is GetDataBack by http://www.runtime.org/ They offer a free program to see what you can recover (it also comes in 2 flavors - NTFS and FAT). If there is recoverable data - it'll cost you $80 US for either the NTFS or the FAT (they've got a bundle of both for $120). I find it easier to use than PCInspector, that's why I purchased it.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 lurpin

lurpin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2006 - 05:47 PM

Hi John I tried the above file recovery program and it works great except the price is too high. I finally found a program from Germany called PC inspector. I recovered files and transfered them to my master drive, them formated my slave drive and transfered the data back all is well , thanks for the response.

#4 lurpin

lurpin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2006 - 05:48 PM

John I forgot to mention the program from Germany is free!!!

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2006 - 10:55 AM

Yes, the PCInspector program is a great tool (there was a link to it in the paragraph before the one for RunTime in my last post).

The main difference is that PCInspector is a bit harder to use - but since it suits your needs - go for it!

Be aware that they seem to have some hosting problems - and the site is difficult to get to at times (but usually works after a couple of tries!).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 ComputerMan23

ComputerMan23

• Members
  • 309 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2006 - 09:16 PM

Theres some registry values that can hide your hard drive and enables you to change its 'name' , aka c:/ to z:/ or what not. I cant remember those values though or under which folder they are contained.

#7 Sprite_Feedback

Sprite_Feedback

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:39 AM

Posted 03 February 2006 - 09:58 PM

I would download the diagnostics from the hdd manufacturers website and see if the drive checks out ok just to be on the safe side.

g

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users