Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problems starting computer

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 kelnjor

kelnjor

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:15 PM

Posted 19 October 2011 - 04:23 AM

Hi, when starting the computer, it comes to the black screen (which appears if you have lost power, or not shut down corectly) and says that a recent software download may not have configured properly, and to either launch windows normally or to launch and try and fix windows (it will not do anything if i select this option), i have to click on start normally, i may have to do this 2-3 times, turning pc on and off, before it will eventually start. Once started it seems to run fine..i cannot find any recent downloads or updates which may be causing the problem...any help or suggestions would be appreciated..i have also run system restore, (which only ran from last update of windows yesterday) which made no difference.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,127 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:15 AM

Posted 19 October 2011 - 04:07 PM

Turning a system on/off...should have no effect if it's a file problem, IMO...but it might be an indication of a PSU or other hardware problem.

System manufacturer and model?

Any onscreen error messages prior to onset of this?

Louis

#3 kelnjor

kelnjor
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:15 PM

Posted 19 October 2011 - 08:08 PM

Hi, thanks for your reply.

it is a Dell inspiron 530,32 bit operating system.

there are no warnings or other problems once started. the 2 options i have during start up are "launch start up repair" which nothing happens if i select this, and start windows normally. at the top it states that some windows files may not be configured correctly?

Thanks

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,127 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:15 AM

Posted 20 October 2011 - 08:02 AM

I would try running the chkdsk /r command to address file configuration problems.

I might follow that up with running defrag.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users