Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

toward a freer internet

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 bradleyheathhays

bradleyheathhays

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:59 AM

Posted 18 October 2011 - 11:59 PM

Not up to speed on these things, but recently I've been told about an internet modem that costs somewhere around $300-400 that, once you buy it, gives you free internet. The guy that heard about it is backtracking now to try to find out more information about it, so I'm waiting to hear back from him. In the meantime I've been researching what this thing could be and the closest I've come up with is something that's called a BPL modem, or a Broadcast over Power Lines modem, although I could be completely off here.

Does anyone here have some insight as to what my buddy might be talking about? I want to get internet to my Mom but don't want to pay the reoccurring high monthly fees that cable companies charge. But if a one time cost of a few hundred bucks will get it done then I'm game. I'm all ears here.

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,753 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:59 AM

Posted 19 October 2011 - 05:13 PM

Access BPL, is something that never made it from back in roughly 2002-2004. Too many regulatory hurdles among other things. http://www.pcworld.com/article/114135/broadband_over_power_lines_hits_a_snag.html

There are in house BPL devices that use your home electrical wiring to broadcast your internet 'wirelessly' to other rooms. This is an alternative to having 'dead spots' in a home with WiFi. Can't find the article I used to have explaining this method of BPL at the moment. This however requires you already have an internet connection.

As for buying a modem for $300-$400, for free internet? Not gonna happen. Nobody that provides access to the web is going to leave open access to it. Even 'free WiFi' in Starbucks, or restaurants or airports the business saying it's free is footing the bill to broadcast it. If you were to pick up a WiFi signal from an unsecured modem or router it would still be considered bandwidth theft if you continued using it without the owners permission.

Explanation of terms: http://plugtek.com/broadband-power-line-tutorial.shtml

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:59 AM

Posted 19 October 2011 - 05:44 PM

Does anyone here have some insight as to what my buddy might be talking about? I want to get internet to my Mom but don't want to pay the reoccurring high monthly fees that cable companies charge. But if a one time cost of a few hundred bucks will get it done then I'm game. I'm all ears here.

You can get a Free Modem sometimes when you sign up to many internet providers, but you will not get Free Internet access.
Maybe the first month can be free on a 24 month contract, but I know of no free (ongoing) internet access anywhere (I assume USA).

The above reply from Animal is the best historical version, while I live in Australia with some of the highest monthly charges around.
I got a free Ethernet modem (I think I can get wifi now), but this still involves a minimum cost of about Aust$50 per month and a 2 year contract.

Regards -

#4 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:10:59 AM

Posted 19 October 2011 - 08:20 PM

Cable internet providers will offer special promo rates to new customers, typically for 12 or 24 months. Sometimes a contract is required, sometimes it might not be.

You can
1)check the cable provider website
2)call and ask if there are any promos for new customers
3)go to a local office and ask.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users