Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Firefox 7.0.1, and connection problems.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ReiDemon

ReiDemon

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:00 AM

Posted 18 October 2011 - 11:23 PM

On my computer, it seems that whenever I run Mozilla Firefox, 7.0.1 to be precise, it starts up perfectly...then at what I can only assume are random bursts, it will either start or stop connecting to pages.

This is difficult to explain, but when these..."attacks", if you will, occur, then Firefox cannot connect to a single page; it will stay stuck on the "Loading..." animation for new tabs, pages already opened won't load any further, I cannot navigate to a new page, and pages that were loading when this occurs stop loading, providing a skeleton of what the page is supposed to be. Unusually, no error messages of any type ever appear; the pages remain blank or stuck on the page that they originally were on.

This problem comes at random; sometimes I can browse for hours on end before the thing self destructs, while in others, it starts when Firefox opens.

This bug sometimes fixes itself; the time required, however, has varied from only a few seconds to a day later.

Despite attempts to do so, altering options within Firefox do not end the problem; changing proxy settings, options within about:config (specifically, altering boolean properties and strings about the DNS and IPv6), disabling add-ons/extensions and even Safe Mode don't stop this problem from coming along. Uninstalling Firefox via Control Panel and reinstalling had no effect whatsoever.

My Antivirus programs consist of Avast!, PC Tools Antivirus, and ThreatFire; disabling all three at the same time does not solve the problem (as Firefox can sometimes connect when the three are on, I have doubts they are resposible).

This is not the first time Firefox has done this; I recall this problem occuring on Firefox 6 as well, albeit much less frequently.

My internet connection (I am using a wireless connection at the moment), at the present, works perfectly; Opera, Chrome and IE work perfectly on this computer, and in the months since this problem has occured, Chrome has worked flawlessly, never dropping off connections. Other applications that require internet access, such as Steam, the Last.fm Audioscrobbler and Google's MusicManager also all work perfectly.

I think that's all. Thanks for reading. If I need to provide something more, let me know.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,735 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:00 AM

Posted 18 October 2011 - 11:31 PM

My Antivirus programs consist of Avast!, PC Tools Antivirus

You can't be running two AV programs.
You must uninstall one of them.

Then....

If you're using Firefox 3.x, close Firefox. Go Start>All Programs>Mozilla Firefox, click on Mozilla Firefox (safe mode).
If you're using Firefox 4, or higher go Help>Restart Firefox with Add-ons Disabled.
Same issue?

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#3 ReiDemon

ReiDemon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:00 AM

Posted 19 October 2011 - 04:52 PM

I uninstalled PC Tools Antivirus from my system, restarted, and the problem seems to have completely gone away.

Thanks!

#4 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,735 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:00 AM

Posted 19 October 2011 - 06:35 PM

Great news :)

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users