Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

how to install os?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 kimr

kimr

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:01 AM

Posted 18 October 2011 - 08:21 PM

Hello!

My son-in-law has a Gateway laptop which was giving lots of error messages that the sata hard drive was failing. I ordered a new one and replaced it. Then I found the copy of Windows 7 that came with it was an upgrade version and the laptop originally shipped with Vista, but he doesn't have the Vista disk. He also doesn't want to buy the Windows 7 full version.

I have Windows XP and an upgrade version of Vista so I tried to install starting with XP. A few minutes in I get a blue screen. I looked up the error message and I'm pretty sure the XP with Service Pack 2 does not support the SATA drive.

Is there a way I can download the Vista OS that it came with? I have the license key.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,754 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:01 AM

Posted 18 October 2011 - 08:55 PM

I found the copy of Windows 7 that came with it was an upgrade version

You can perform clean Windows 7 installation with upgrade DVD: http://www.smartestcomputing.us.com/topic/38243-clean-install-windows-7-with-upgrade-media-dvd/

My Website

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click DONATE

#3 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:01 AM

Posted 19 October 2011 - 11:32 AM

I can confirm this, I used my upgrade disc with an OEM key. The drive wouldn't read the OEM disc for some reason. I'm not sure if upgrade media will look at your hard drives for an activated copy of Windows, however. XP should support all SATA drives, but, if you are putting that drive into the other PC and attempting to boot into XP, you could have issues. Begin the upgrade process from XP to Vista or 7 with the disc in the drive when booting the PC. You can upgrade to 7 from XP but it requires a clean install using that method to install the OS.

3939.png

#4 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,378 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:01 AM

Posted 22 October 2011 - 02:35 AM

There are instances where Windows XP will not install on a SATA hard drive.

I had that information bookmarked from Microsoft's TechNet web site, but my current computer is down for a AGP slot repair so I'll be darned if I can locate the link or remember it for that matter.

So I had to choose what I could find on the web.

The problem is: when trying to install Windows XP on a newer machine with an "SATA AHCI controller", the harddisk would not be recognized.

The reason is: Windows XP has no SATA drivers included on the setup CD and the HDD would not be recognized from the installation wizard.

Read this forum it covers part of what I am trying to get across here, although it's still not the information I was looking for:

http://aps2.toshiba-tro.de/kb0/TSB85017Z0000R01.htm

I ran into this particular situation with an Dell XPS 400 I have when I installed Windows XP on the SATA hard drive. With out loading SATA drivers during disk load, you will get a NO HARD DRIVE IS PRESENT warning when you try to install XP, it has to do with the RAID setting in the BIOS.

You have to change a setting in the motherboard's BIOS setup utility for the installation to recognize a SATA hard drive.
Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 22 October 2011 - 02:49 AM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 45 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users