Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Renamed Files

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Enoch

Enoch

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:12 AM

Posted 26 January 2006 - 10:33 PM

The computer renamed all my files:

I was using XP on a 20GB (fat32) and my computer crashed. To make a long story short I bought a new drive. Now Iím using XP on a 80 GB drive (NTFS)

I was using a 10 GB drive (fat32) as a backup drive to my 20 GB drive. The computer renamed with letters and symbols all the files. How can I recover or access these files on this drive?

Please take into consideration of my limited knowledge of computers and operating systems when answering my post.

Thank you

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:12 AM

Posted 27 January 2006 - 03:23 PM

Does the renaming follow any particular order? (I'm thinking of it being 6 numbers or letters followed by the ~ and then a number).

Do they conform to the 8.3 naming convention? 8 figures before the . and 3 figures after it?

Maybe a screen shot of a directory listing will help. Open up the directory in question. Then press "Alt" and "PrtScrn" at the same time.

Then open Paint and paste it in there, save it and attach it to your next post. (or you can link to it if you have it hosted at one of the free image hosters like http://www.photobucket.com )
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2006 - 07:37 AM

Posted Image
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2006 - 01:58 PM

Hello, DId you recently get an email telling you to search for a particular file and if you found it to delete it?

If you did get such an email and deleted this file you deleted the file for long filenames in Windows XP.

Like this:

NAME: Sulfnbk.exe virus hoax
ALIAS: Long File Name Backup utility virus hoax

Explainationbelow and link to fix it:

In April-May 2001 there appeared a hoax message concerning a new virus that was reportedly discovered in Windows' Long File Name Backup utility SULFNBK.EXE. We checked several versions of this utility from Windows installations and found no infection in it.

The icon of the original Sulfnbk.exe file looks like that:

However, some e-mail worms (for example, Magistr) might sometimes send an infected SULFNBK.EXE in an e-mail attachment.

Bottom line: if you get SULFNBK.EXE in an e-mail attachment, it's probably a virus. If you find it from your Windows directory, it's probably not.

What to do if you already found SULFNBK.EXE from your Windows\system directory and deleted it? Not to worry, most users never need this tool. But if you run into problems with long filenames and start to see things like "FILENA~1.TXT" in your Windows Start Menu, you might need the tool. In that case, follow these Microsoft instructions to restore it:

http://support.microsoft.com/directory/article.asp?ID=KB;EN-US;Q301316

Here's the original hoax message:

---Begin Hoax Text -------------------------------------------

Virus SULFNBK.EXE

Instructions to find and delete it.
1. Start and got to Find Files. Type the name: SULFNBK.EXE
2. If it is there, open Windows Explorer, look for the file
where you found it, and then delete. Don't left click and don't
open it even if there is a fire, o.k.?
3. Just delete it.
4. Mine was in Windows/Command.
5. The person wh passed this warning to me found it in
Windows/Config.

And Norton did not discover it...

---End Hoax Text -------------------------------------------

Please ignore this hoax and don't pass it on.

If this is what happened do not feel bad because there are thousands of others who followed it.

#5 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2006 - 08:12 AM

Nice find ThorXP! Thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users