Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Video Card Died Need Onboard Video Help

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 MrClose

MrClose

• Members
  • 177 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:38 PM

Posted 18 October 2011 - 06:41 PM

My video card took a dump and until I get the cash for another one, I hooked up to my computers onboard.

What happens next is beyond my limited understanding?

The computer will go through the whole boot process but then the monitor throws up a "Frequency Out Of Range" message and that is as far as I can get!?

I can see everything as I boot .. the white lettering that says Bios F2 and Boot F10 and I also get that loading screen bar but then that dreaded message (Frequency Out Of Range) pops up!?

Did I make a mistake in not un-installing my broken down video card's drivers Before going onboard?

I can't find anyway to change the Frequency for my monitor and just to make sure .. I have another monitor which I connected to and I get the same message!

The specs on both monitor and PC are linked below if that will help!?

I am at a total loss.

I Really need help on this one! 8

Before you ask .. I am on my wife's pc right now! 8(
Thanks Everyone.

http://support.gateway.com/s/MONITOR/7010821R/7010821Rnv.shtml MONITOR
http://assets.gateway.com/s/PC/FX/1015696R/1015696Rsp3.shtml COMPUTER

Edited by MrClose, 18 October 2011 - 06:42 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Nicholas Basso

Nicholas Basso

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:38 PM

Posted 18 October 2011 - 08:24 PM

When you see that message, it indicates that the video card is trying to output a resolution or refresh frequency which the monitor cannot handle.

First, make sure you've re-enabled the onboard video in your BIOS and set it as default, because while it might output the BIOS setup screen and POST to your onboard, Windows may not have it detecting as a valid display device, so the onboard video is outputting a video signal which is invalid or may just shut off the output, which might be confusing the monitor perhaps.

If that doesn't resolve, I would suggest booting Windows into Safe Mode.
To do this, start tapping F8 after the BIOS has finished its typical POST checks (like ram, showing you what hard drives and optical drives you have, etc).
With most motherboards, it will emit a beep. Just as you hear that beep, start tapping the F8 key, about 2x per second. Hopefully you will get a text-menu from Windows indicating different modes to boot in.
Try Safe Mode with Networking.

After that, once it's booted to safe mode, you should be able to uninstall the old driver, which will get windows to re-detect what displays it is using, and which display adapter it's using.

Good luck.

#3 MrClose

MrClose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 177 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2011 - 09:00 PM

Thank You for your response but, Well .. EVERYTHING that I have tried has failed!
Going into safe mode just gets me to the Frequency message again and according to the BIOS .. onboard is enabled.

Everything else in the BIOS may as well be written in a foreign language.

There is some setting called DVMT which is set as follows ..
Advanced Chip Set:
DVMT Mode=DVMT
DVMT/Fixed=Auto
DVMT/Fixed Mem.=Max

I have no idea what that means but fooling around with these settings would probably put the last nail in my pc's coffin! 8)

There is a PNY GeForce210 (Nvidia) video card that I can get for around $50.00 and was wondering if it will replace the Nvidia 9800GT card that I had?

I believe that it is a step or two below the 9800 but I don't play games or do anything graphic intensive.

What do you think?

Thank You

#4 Nicholas Basso

Nicholas Basso

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2011 - 06:48 PM

To be honest, for gaming purposes the 210 is way below the 9800. That said, if you're not planning on doing gaming beyond basic solitaire or some minor webgames, it may be sufficient for your needs.

DVMT:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamic_video_memory_technology

Basically, allocating system memory to be video memory dynamically as needed.
Don't worry bout it, leave those settings the same.

TBH I have no idea why Windows would force it into a resolution your monitor can't handle.
The PC you posted and the monitor you posted should have no problems, but it's possible that the VGA on the onboard may not be able to properly detect the monitor or its resolutions? It's possible the onboard VGA could only do as high as 1280x1024, but even widescreen monitors still carry legacy support for resolutions like that.

That being said, the default resolution of the monitor could be too high for the PC's onboard to handle... I have no idea with the G33 Express chipset though, never used it.

The video card you posted about? The price you've quoted is in the high-end for reasonable prices for a graphics card of that calibre.

Your system has a PCI-Express version 1 X16 slot, so it'll handle most modern and earlier video cards of the last 4 years.

I suggest a quick search on Newegg to find a good price with low shipping, so you can get a video card at a reasonable price that will actually work.
They also have good reviews on parts.

For a relevant card of the same model, this one ain't half bad:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127591

No HDMI port but still should work.

#5 MrClose

MrClose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 177 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2011 - 07:03 PM

Thank You for your input.

I'm wondering if I should have removed the drivers for the 9800 Before I pulled the card and Before I tried the 'onboard'?

Maybe the pc is still seeing the drivers for the 9800 and 'Thinks' that the card is still installed and thus VGA and monitor can't 'see' anything?

The graphics card that I am wanting to try (cheap) is different than the newegg version.

Here's a link to the one I want ..

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/PNY+-+GeForce+210+1GB+DDR2+PCI+Express+2.0+Graphics+Card/9979447.p?skuId=9979447&id=1218205379527#tabbed-customerreviews

#6 Nicholas Basso

Nicholas Basso

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2011 - 07:58 PM

That could be it.

Here's the relevant card on Newegg:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814133320

Basically a number of the cards of this model were released with a higher clock speed, larger memory size (1GB instead of 512) and with a larger memory interface (128-bit instead of 64-bit) which should allow the card to access the 1 GB at a higher rate. The RAM itself built-in to it is DDR2 instead of DDR3, which shouldn't make that much of a difference to your usage of it, but for a gamer it could be a concern as the RAM reads and writes at a slower rate.
These differences mean, really, nothing for a user of Office and basic Windows concerns, which it sounds like what you need.

If $50 is where you want to spend, you can find higher-end cards that are head and shoulders above that for gaming, but as you said you just do basic stuff. The two card tiers you're going to find for that rate are an 8400 GS, or a 210, both by nVidia, both same tier, or a 5450 by ATI, similar tier. The 210, for simple price and being newer tech than the 8400, would be my recommendation. Higher RAM or clock-rate isn't going to make that much of a difference for, say, Blu-Ray playback or the like, since the card's graphics processor will do most of the work on that. You shouldn't notice any difference between the one I posted and that one, really, other than the price. Without rebate, you're looking at about $35-$39 maybe, with shipping.

Be cautious not to get a card with 32-bit memory interface (it will be listed as such on Newegg) simply because at such a low memory interface it might be a problem even for general stuff or start to introduce lag in displaying things like the Aero interface or playback of things. Depends. Not quite sure, never seen a card with that low memory interface in the last 8 years.

#7 MrClose

MrClose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 177 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2011 - 08:24 PM

Thank You Nicholas
You have been very kind in taking the time to respond to my posts!

I will come back and let you know how things turn out .. Hopefully tomorrow!

MC

#8 MrClose

MrClose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 177 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2011 - 05:04 PM

Nicholas

I am happy to announce that I now have the new card in and Everything went 'splendidly'!!

Video and colors look as good as they ever did .. even though it is not considered one of the 'elite gamer' cards.

Since I don't do games or heavy video .. I am Thrilled!!

Thank You ALL .. So Much!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users