Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ram not detected on new Asus M5A97 mobo

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Bruscar

Bruscar

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:38 PM

Posted 18 October 2011 - 04:23 PM

Hi,

I've just done a full upgrade, replacing almost all internals with:
Motherboard: Asus M5A97 pro
Processor: AMD Phenom II X4 980
Ram: single 4GB stick of DDR3 (patriot PSD34G13332H - PC3-10600 1333MHz CL9)
Vid: Asus HD6670

I had no problems really with the build itself (no hammers required), but when I power up, the motherboard is complaining about the ram. There's a dram error led lit, and when I connected a speaker it's giving the code for bad memory. This all happens immediately, before I can get to the bios. It's never got past this point.

I've tried 3 different sticks of the Patriot ram, and another brand (that I don't have the details of), with the same thing happening each time. I've tried the ram in different slots, and am getting the same problem as if there was no ram installed. The motherboard documentation says it's compatible with ECC, non-ECC, non-buffered ram, but Asus' 'Qualified Vendor List' doesn't mention that specific ram (although it does have a few Patriot 1333MHz 2GB sticks in the list).

I also tried removing the video card in case it's a power problem (it's an old 400W PSU), but got the same problem. It didn't go away when I cleared the CMOS RTC ram.

I'm hoping I'm missing something, and want to rule everything out before popping the CPU and returning the motherboard. Does anyone have an idea if it's more likely to be an incompatibility between ram and board, a dodgy board, a badly seated cpu, or something I've missed?

Cheers,
Bruscar.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,727 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:38 AM

Posted 19 October 2011 - 09:09 PM

IME, Asus boards can be picky about RAM installed.

Have you checked the QVL for RAM? http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/AMD_AM3Plus/M5A97_PRO/#MSL

Louis

#3 Bruscar

Bruscar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2011 - 09:35 AM

Thanks Louis,

Yes, that ram's not on the QVL, but similar ram from that manufacturer is. If they are picky about ram I'll try to get my hands on something from their list before taking things apart.

Cheers for the help.
Bruscar.

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:38 AM

Posted 18 November 2011 - 01:38 PM

Have you read the manual with regard to memory problems?

There is a MemOk! switch that you can use for incompatible memory to make it work.It is I believe next to the memory error light. The manual will tell you how to use it. It will be something like press and hold until the light starts flashing or some such.

They have the same feature on Intel boards and I used it on one I did for a friend. It did work when done properly.

Good Luck

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#5 Bruscar

Bruscar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2011 - 11:58 AM

I've finally got back to this, and it worked with some different ram; in this case, kingston KHXC9AD3/2G. This implies to me that this mobo is particularly fussy when it comes to what ram is accepts. Incidentallly, this ram isn't on the QVL list either.

Unfortunately a 2 gig stick is hardly going to be enough, and it was from a local shop at a high price, so the problem has been identified, but I'll keep looking for a solution. I'll post when I get it up and running.

Cheers for the feedback,
Bruscar.

#6 Bruscar

Bruscar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2011 - 03:30 PM

For anyone coming across this looking for a solution, I'm up and running now, using a plain 4gig stick of Kingston KVR1333D3N9 (which seems pretty easy to find out there).

Now all I have to do is get it to boot from my temporary usb drive, but that'll be another story, I'm sure.

Cheers,
Bruscar.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,727 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:38 AM

Posted 04 December 2011 - 06:10 PM

Glad you resolved it, happy computing :).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users