Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Blue Screen Crash When Writing To Cd

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 bspinnaker

bspinnaker

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:02 AM

Posted 26 January 2006 - 09:22 PM

When I write multiple files to my CD, my T40 Thinkpad gives me a bluescreen crash. At first this problem happened only every once in a while, occasionally during an automatic backup that I'd set up -- simply copying files to the CD. Now it happens every time mulitple files are copied, either automatically or by dragging and dropping. The blue screen error message tells me it's the sysdata.xml file that causing the problem. I don't know anything about it. The drive is the standard one for a T40, a Toshiba. For what it's worth, I ran PC-Doctor on the drive and all the tests failed. But I don't know what that means, either.

Thanks for any help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2006 - 03:16 PM

I believe that the sysdata.xml is a part of System Restore. Try shutting that off (Beware - it'll destroy all of your system restore points if you shut it off!)

Otherwise, please get some more information from your Event Viewer (Start...Control Panel...Administrative Tools...Event Viewer...System log. Then right click on the errors and select "Properties" - and look for any of the errors that have numbers similar to those that were on the Blue Screen. We'll need them.

While you're waiting for us to get back to you - try this:
1) Go to Start...Run...and type in "sfc.exe /scannow" (without the quotes) and press Enter
2) The program may prompt you for your XP installation disk - please have it ready.
3) If it does prompt you for your disk - please visit Windows Update immediately afterwards. The SFC tool replaces files on your hard drive with files from the disk - some of the files on the disk may be older than those available at Windows Update.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 bspinnaker

bspinnaker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2006 - 05:23 PM

I believe that the sysdata.xml is a part of System Restore

Interesting. I just ran a virus scanner (AVG) today and it found two Trojan Horse viruses---Downloader.Harnig.L and BackDoor.Padodor.E---both of which were in the System Volume Information\_restore folder. Specifically, C:\System Volume Information\_restore{14157744-4FA2-4CAF-BAFB-72CC49941087}\RP441\A0071752.exe and C:\System Volume Information\_restore{14157744-4FA2-4CAF-BAFB-72CC49941087}\RP441\A0071753.exe. Could these viruses have been causing my crash problem? I have no idea what they were trying to do.

For what it's worth, here are a few of my Save Dump reports from Event viewer:

The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x10000050 (0xe29a1000, 0x00000000, 0x804d6a93, 0x00000001). A dump was saved in: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini012606-03.dmp.

The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x1000007f (0x00000008, 0x80042000, 0x00000000, 0x00000000). A dump was saved in: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini012606-02.dmp.

The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x000000d1 (0x00000000, 0x00000002, 0x00000001, 0xf882604a). A dump was saved in: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini012606-01.dmp.

The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x1000008e (0xc0000005, 0x02080004, 0xf8c93e0c, 0x00000000). A dump was saved in: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini012006-01.dmp.

I don't know if you can decipher these or not.

#4 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2006 - 06:14 PM

Viruses like to hide in System Restore points. Then, when you restore the points they're reactivated again.

To my knowledge the only way to clean System Restore is by turning it off and destroying all the System Restore points - so I'd suggest that you have to do that now!

But, I doubt that it's your problem. The reports that you've listed all have different things associated with them. But, the first thing to do is to scrub your computer completely clean with several different antivirus programs.

Then, submit a HiJackThis log for anaylsis. The instructions and the place to post it are located here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/22/virus-trojan-spyware-and-malware-removal-logs/

It's important to wait until the HJT (HiJackThis) log has been cleaned by one of the security experts. This will help in 2 ways:
1) Our efforts to fix your system won't hide any bad stuff that's on your system, and
2) We won't be trying to fix problems that are caused by the bad stuff - only to have them pop up again!

Once the HJT log is done, then I'm confident that we can address the bugchecks. (FWIW - if you're interested, you can teach yourself how to debug the .dmp files - but this should wait until the HJT log is done also.)
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 bspinnaker

bspinnaker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2006 - 09:09 AM

OK, thanks. I'll go to the HJT forum and post some results there once I go through all the steps.

A couple of other points: After the crash, if I send results to Microsoft, it tells me that the crash was probably caused by a driver. I started having this problem when I used an Iomega drive for backups a couple years ago, and they realized the driver problem and issued a patch. But I scrapped Iomega for the CD-Rom---and now the crashes when writing to the CD-Rom are getting more frequent. Though not predictable. Sometimes I can copy more than one file OK. It seems that when I copy a larger number of files the system crashes. Maybe still a driver problem?

Somewhere I read, too, that it might be caused by degrading memory.

#6 bspinnaker

bspinnaker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2006 - 01:13 PM

I think I found the problem. I went to IBM's site and found an update to the DLA protocol (or whatever it is)--the software that governs dragging and dropping to the CD-Rom. I had started having DLA messages appearing before or after these crashes, so that was a hint. I installed the update to DLA for my laptop, and now copying files to the CD-Rom seems to work OK.

#7 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2006 - 09:58 AM

That's great! I'm glad that you were able to find a relatively simple solution! My way would've taken a heck of a lot longer! :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users